Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-RW Drive Won't Open

• Please log in to reply

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
When I built my current system I tried to use this TDK CD-RW drive I had lying around for the windows install, but after initial boot up the drive simply did not want to open. I would press the button and you would hear the motor try to open the tray but it seemed as though it was getting stuck, so it stopped opening.

Eventually I just used another old CD drive to do the install and hoped that there was some firmware I could get to get it working.

I put the drive back in an old machine to see if its really my system that's doing it, and sure enough, the drive opens right up an on old P1 system.

So I tried it in my new comp again just to see what would happen and it still wont open up, I even pressed the emergency release button with a paperclip but it did the same thing...

Well I went on TDK's website and they only have firmware for drive model "101232" and not "101232A" (<my drive). The installer specifically says not to use it with the "A" model.

Would new firmware really help? What do you think is really happening? (there is nothing obstructing the drive bay)

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 28 December 2005 - 08:11 PM.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
CD Drive will not open
28th Dec 2005

1-Try to temporarily loosen [CD Drive] in Bay or try running drive outside of bay -

2-Try reseating [Data] Cable – at Motherboard

3-See how it operates with [Software Open]
Double Click [My Computer]
Right Click [CD Rom]
Select – [Eject] –

Jack123

zxSolidSnakexz

zxSolidSnakexz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
O.K. here was my thought process:

1.This guy thinks I'm a dumbass who didn't seat his ATA cable properly.
2.I'll just reply and tell him that windows obvoisly recognizes the dirve because it came up with the model number.
3.I should test it outside the bezel though, I might have tried that but I forget
4.Dam, opening my case this early in the morning might be dangerous tired as I am
5.I might as well check my ATA cable just in case... dang now I have to unplug everything to put it on its side
6.Hmm that did look a little loose
7.OK now I'll just plug in the power cable so I can test it
(I unscrew it and pull it as far out as I can)
*Drive Opens*
8.I really am just a dumbass who didn't seat his ATA cable properly!

Thanks for all the help man, it opens in windows as well. I'm gunna go rip some CDs!

Edited by zxSolidSnakexz, 28 December 2005 - 11:59 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
CD Drive will not open-(2)
29th Dec 2005

Geek Rule #1 – [Go back to the Basics] –

Jack123