Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Cable

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have a monitor that has a built-in cable, like most do any more. The cable is missing many pins and I want to replace it. I have already removed the old cable and I am wondering if a new one can be bought and, if so, where. The only cables that I can find are extender cables and various other monitor cable types. Anyone with any info would be most helpful. If there is not a way to get a full replacement cable, is there a way to wire in a cable jack where the cable used to be?

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 28 December 2005 - 09:27 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can get an extension cable and cut off the end and connect the wires as the old one was. You could buy a replacement part from whoever makes the monitor, but unless the monitor is an expensive one the part will most likely be more than the monitor is worth.

How was the previous cable connected? What size monitor is it?

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
it was connected to the computer via a regular 15pin monitor jack, as far as connected to the monitor itself, the cable was built-in to the monitor. I opened up the monitor and there were three seperate connections inside for the monitor cable, connecting it to the monitor hardware. Not sure about hte measurements of the monitor though. The wires taht were within the monitor cable were color coded. If I get an extension cable, would those wires likely be color coded the same way as the original. That may sound like a silly question but I am just getting into repairing and working with hardware.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The color coding might be different.

You could see if you could get the plug and just replace that.

Another option is to see if another monitor has the same cable. The same brand might have the same cable, others might too, but that is less likely.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, I will look into that. I have some friends that might have something that I can use for it. Thanks alot.