Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A different CoD 2 problem

• Please log in to reply

Glamdrig

Glamdrig

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, here's the deal.

Call of Duty 2 runs perfectly well on single player - I have the system specs, I have the latest video drivers, etc. When I access the Multiplayer part of CoD 2, however, I encounter some difficulty. I can get a list of servers to appear, but when I double click to join the game, I am met with an error which reads something like "Error reading Key code, please input key code for verification". The first time I tried Multiplayer, I had not entered the key code in the "Verify Key Code" area (in the Options menu for Multiplayer, I think), so initially I wasn't surprised to see such an error message. So, I inputed the code and verified it (the game said it was a valid code), but when I attempted to join a game, again it gave me that error message. I looked at the "Verify Key Code" area again and for some reason, only the last four digits of my code appeared. I entered the full code again, verified it, and tried to join a game, but the problem persisted.

Ok, so it seemed like the game was unable to remember the key code. I then went in search of a patch, which I found (on the official site) and uploaded. When I tried to install the patch, however, it told me that it could not find any version of Call of Duty 2 on my computer. Alas, I was still unable to join multiplayer games (though, it should be noted that I can make my own server).

This got me thinking - maybe the problem with my multiplayer has something to do with my computer not recognizing that Call of Duty 2 has been installed. Since I have encountered a similar problem with "The Movies" (also produced by Activision, strangely enough) - which, in brief, greys out the "Play" option whenever I put in the first CD and prompts me to install the game...which I already have installed - I suspect there might be a serious problem with my system.

So, my question (aside from the obvious "WHAT SHOULD I DO???") is: what would cause a computer to not recognize that a game/program has been installed?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Glamdrig

Glamdrig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I gather from the lack of replies that my question doesn't have an obvious answer. I guess that's a good thing, in that it doesn't mean I'm stupid...of course, an answer would be better.

Glamdrig

Glamdrig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
People only answer the questions that have been asked tons of time before?

Kyle8515

Kyle8515

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I also, have the same problem and don't understand why it's happened. If you actually run regedit, under local machine>>>software>>>> then look in the Activision folder, you should see that there is no COD2 folder whatsoever. This would be the reason why the mutliplayer doesn't verify your CD Key (b/c there's no string value that says it). I've uninstalled, reinstalled and the folder still does not show up. I have no clue what to do either. WE NEED HELP...pls ppl if you know how to fix, answer us.

Edited by Kyle8515, 16 January 2006 - 01:10 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you talked to activision tech support they are good and you have paid for it, they know all the bugs in the game and how to fix most of them, if they cant fix it not much chance we can.

Kyle8515

Kyle8515

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah i've talked to Activision and what they said to do was uninstall the game and reinstall it and see if that works. They were hardly any help, I talked to two members of their "support" team. I hate how I can't play multiplayer and I basically know the problem. I just don't understand how I can fix it. :tazz: