Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ide channels and installing a new DVD-RW drive

• Please log in to reply

sync

sync

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I just bought an LG Super-Multi DVD Drive (GSA-4167B).

I have a 60GB hard drive as the master on IDE channel 1 and a 250GB HDD as the slave on the same channel.

So, I put the new DVD drive in the bay and connect the power and the audio and run a 40 wire ide cable from the DVD drive to the secondary IDE channel on my motherboard.

I now turn the computer on and...my bios can't find my hard drives. It sits on auto-detect for about 30 seconds and then says that it could not detect any drives.

So I shut the power off, unplug the IDE cable from the secondary plug on my motherboard, turn the computer back on, and it works perfectly.

What am i doing wrong here? I have the DVD drive set to master, since it is the only device on the secondary channel.

I have tried resetting my BIOS and editing it by forcing the BIOS to see the DVD drive as a CD/DVD drive in the CMOS settings, but it still causes the computer to hang. Is it even a BIOS problem? Is the cable cooked?

The install instructions make it look so easy! :tazz:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spex: xp home, MSI KT3 Ultra, 512MB PC2700

Edited by sync, 28 December 2005 - 10:12 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The first thing you might try is to replace the 250Mb disk with the DVD drive and see if there is a problem with the DVD drive, use the same cable and set the drive as a slave. If that works, then try putting the 250Gb disk on the second channel.

I would assume that you have two ide channels, but you might want to make sure and also see if there are any settings which might affect that, such a using it as a RAID device. The cable could also be a problem, but it is hard to say.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I had a similar experience once, and it turned out to be a bad EIDE cable on my second EIDE channel.

sync

sync

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
problem solved!

one of my power cables wasn't working.

voltmeter saves the day!