Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jerky playback of DVD's

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
This post may be in the wrong place,if so please could one of the moderators move it,thanks.

I got a radeon RX 9250 128 mb AGP card for my MSI K7N2G-L Mobo,previous to which i was running off board graphics-hence the AGP card.
When i used to try and play DVD's in my Samsung DVD combo drive[not writer]it played them before but was a poor quality picture,but not jerky.
Since the cards installation the picture is much improved but the playback is jerky.I have already googled for an answer to why,without any luck.

My PC is XP2500+ barton CPU,1 gig of PC3200 ram,Rx9250 AGP 128mb,Dell P793 Monitor 17 ",120 gig HDD.

In other words plenty good enough to play a DVD,which unfortunately lt it never has done properly since it was built[poor pic at first].
I have the Catalyst control centre installed and the latest ATI drivers and direct x too.
I have no idea why or what to do as nobody i know,understands any of this as they're gamers and i'm not very good.
I see no earthly reason as to why my PC won't playback a DVD properly as my mum's old P3 is better than this and that is very slow in comparison to this PC.I have tried different settings in the catalyst control panel but don't understand how to configure it.
I have tried my best and tried another dvd app ulead dvd and that was the same.

Can anyone offer any assistance please,and oh i'm running XP Pro with SP2.thanks all.
Dean.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use Media Player, click tools then options then performance to adjust video acceleration to see if it makes a difference

Are you using ATI 5.13 drivers with .net framework installed

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks Keith,i did that and the acceleration is at full already,so i looked for driver info and .net framework.

I am positive i have .Net framework and using ATI 5.13 drivers as the ATI card was installed just over 2 weeks ago and i remember reading about needing to have .Net framework installed too.

Just to be sure could you tell me how to check that please Keith ? something like Start-control panel-system that kind of answer,if you get my drift.

I have found something about DMA mode and windows having a bug that can revert the drive to PIO mode.
So i checked and it says DMA if available or PIO as the 2 options in the box.Unfortunately i might have found an answer but do not understand it.I have copied it below.

Here is a good start point for troubleshooting your problem
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=321641

That was the help that was offered and this is what HE did to sort it out.

Thanks very much once again for your help in this regard. I am very happy to report that I have solved the problem! Perhaps not in the most elegant way, as I will describe. What I did, as suggested in another forum, was delete the affected IDE channel. Upon reboot, the channel driver was reinstalled and DMA was reinstated (level 2). Now my DVD plays fine! I am in some amazement, not only that a soft tweak was indeed the cure, but that friendly people like yourself would be so willing to help out. Thanks very much once again!! I guess, as you have touched upon, that there may be some concrete reason as to why the channel was demoted from DMA to PIO by Windows. I have learned that if 6 errors or timeouts occur on the channel that DMA will be downgraded to PIO in order to preserve system stability. The crude maneuver I performed reset everything. I say crude because the reason for the errors/timeouts remains at this point unknown. I tried checking the system logs, but wasn't sure what I was facing. If you are able to find out if a technical issue exists concerning my DVD drive and my motherboard, I would be grateful. Specifically it is a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502. My motherboard is a First Mainboard AD11. I will research this more myself. Once again, thanks to you and everyone who has helped me on this problem.

Does that make any sense at all ?
I found that if SP2 is already installed[it is] then it stops doing that.

Here is the link to that information

http://techmind.org/dvd/

As you can see i am trying my best to resolve it myself but need some help in deciphering what exactly HE did,if that's the answer of course.Is this information still valid ? I say that because the article mentions DMA if available being not good enough to fix the prob and that's what mine says.It also says mode 5 on one too ?.It has 3 IDE entries how do i determine which one is which ?
I have 1 HDD,1 Asus CDRW and 1 samsung dvd combo drive.thanks again Keith.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control pane then add / remove, look through the list for .net 1.1 and also .net 1.1 hotfix

If you do not have both then visit Microsoft Update

[attachment=5425:attachment]

If the settings are the same as those and then remain the same after you reboot the PC, that's fine

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes keith i have both of them already installed.

The pic is interesting as mine is slightly different than yours.My device 1 says dma if available but
underneath mine says current transfer mode PIO.

Is that my DVD drive ?

It is definitely different by just that 1 thing from your pic and i don't know if this is relevant but it's a 52 X
drive but never goes that fast,no matter what is inserted.

As mine is different from the pic,is that the problem perhaps ?
If so how do i fix it,thanks again.
Dean.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Click + next to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click Primary IDE channel, then click properties then advanced settings

You are looking for this, set it to DMA if it isn't, click apply if you change anything

[attachment=5427:attachment]

[attachment=5426:attachment]

[attachment=5428:attachment]

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I just checked all that and mine is exactly the same as in the pics,so i changed nothing.

I just tried to play it again in WMP 10 and at first very jerky,so i stopped it.I then decided to press play again in WMP 10 and suddenly it works and plays at the right speed with no jerkiness and a good picture too.

However i have lost the sound now and have a long beep continously playing whilst the dvd is playing and NO audio from the dvd anymore.
I have no idea why it's doing that but at least i now it can play at the right speed without being jerky.
I shall try a re-start to see if that fixes it and i'll run registry mechanic too.

Almost fixed it just the beep now,i'll check back in a min.
Dean.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC) After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks very much Keith,i'll have that app and do what you said.

I tried it after a restart and ran registry mechanic and it did it again so i pressed play again and this time
i got them both.Audio and video were fine except for one thing .
They weren't in sync with their speech and it was like a bad chinese film with subtitles.

At least i know it can do it as i have been hit by several sudden power failures over the last few months
and had a disc reading prob i solved.Same drive[D] incidentally.

Right i'll let this download it and i'm off to bed i've been up all night :)
i'll tell you of my progress tomorrow,and thanks for putting up with me too Keith :tazz:
Dean.

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I downloaded that APP and did what you said.I also re-installed Power dvd as that is what i used before installing the AGP card.

My PC is now not only faster but downloads faster than before too now.[up from 3.5Kbytes/sec to 4-5K bytes/sec].

My DVD's now play flawlessly with no glitches or errors at all,the picture is much better now too.
This is a very good application and it's fixed everything and very easy to use too.

Thanks for all the help Keith,greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To date, Tune Up is the only trial version of a programme I have subsequently gone on to purchase. They also permit you load it on to any PC that you use

Thank You for letting me know