Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Color Freakout

• Please log in to reply

Floppy

Floppy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've never used one of these boards before, but I honestly have no idea where else to go.

I must have done something ridiculously stupid, but I don't know what.

Right now, my monitor seems to be stuck with 600x800 dimensions, and 4 bit color. It looks uncannily similar to windows in safe-mode.

The only way I can think of this happening is when I was on the administrators account (my personal account is restricted), about to reinstall my buggy MSN Messenger 7.5, when I notice the little Windows update bubble popped up in the corner telling me to get the newest updates.
So, I think "Hey, I have these temporary powers, might as well update now."
Windows gets about halfway through installing the update when I get a message about an error it encountered and that it'll abort. So it does that and tells me to remove the program (Windows Service Package 2) it put on my system.

SO, I remove Windows Service Package 2 (or very similar name), restart, and my resolution is stuck at 600x800 with 4 bit color. I can't change it, and all my hardware is fine. It's just.. stuck. I don't get any other selections.

Noone I talked to knew what to do, I'm toying with the idea of backing up my files and reinstalling XP. Thought I REALLLLY don't want to. I need help T0T

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The process of uninstalling SP2 has a habit of reducing the capabilities of most PC's to those usually associated with a typewriter

Re-install the video adapter drivers, which is the reason you cannot get anywhere with the monitor at the moment, then:

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update