Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buildin a new pc PLEASE HELP! IMPORTANT!

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
For that price range that video card is the best bang for the price. It plays any game on high settings. The 6800gs and the 6800gt are really even in performance in games. The gs has just a tad fewer pipelines but then it has a higher core clock than a gt has and even higher than a stock 6800 ultra has. That extra clock speed evens out the cards speed with the gt. You wont notice a difference between a 6800gs or 6800gt.

The xms series is a little better than the regular corsair memory because it lets you overclock the system farther if you ever wanted to and the timings are lower.

The corsair value ram isnt cheap, if you read the reviews its a super memory stick. Ill leave that up to you. 2 gb of ram would be better to have and would help in the future as well. About lasting 1-2 years. My pc I have is 8 months old, its fast plays any game but I would like to upgrade within 6 months. I dont know about it lasting over 2 years because thats along time in my book. New games out now keep getting faster and faster and more demanding. The pc would last a Good 1-2 years with 2gb of ram.
You cant keep up with technology.

Get a case at the same place you order everything else, it will save you... Pick whatever case you want... Atx design with sufficient airflow.

DONT get that geil ram, Get 2gb of that corsair valueram and your set or either 2gb of corsair xms series ram.

I never posted the geil ram....

I posted this ram all along.... corsair valueselect

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145505

Edited by jrm20, 02 January 2006 - 01:08 PM.

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
ok, ima go ahead and order the stuff. it will take me a few weeks though to get all the money.

Thanks Again
~Peter

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
btw that motherboard is on sale now u think i should buy it now before it goes up???? or just wait all at once???? and how much is it usually before it went on sale?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would wait, its just a combo with the pny video card.

I picked out that mobo and a pny 6800gs and I noticed a combo with those 2 was $20 cheaper. Hopefully it still stands...

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Im ordering the stuff but with it what else should i buy??? any heatsinks, fan or cables/chords i might need, its my first time building so im not sure what I need.

Thanks
~Peter

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You get the serial ata cables and ide cables with the motherboard I choose.

The amd cpu comes with a stock fan and heatsink which will do fine. You dont need to get another fan/heatsink unless you are wanting to overclock which I wouldnt recommend you trying.

Since your new you might want to get an anti static wrist band. So when you put the computer together you dont mess up the motherboard, memory and cpu with static buildup.

Make shure you get rid of static in your body when you touch the components like the memory, cpu, video card,and motherboard.

Esd - electro static discharge.

Keep your body grounded to the bare metal of the case when touching any of the components I listed. If you touch a part that I listed without grounding your body then the part will be toast.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
k thanks, does newegg.com have the anti static wristbands? and how do i get rid of all static? and should i have cpu on floor when working on it?

Edited by Stelth2k1, 02 January 2006 - 08:32 PM.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
when i get all the stuff together is it pretty easy to put it together?? will u help me do it? and btw jrm20 what is ur AIM or MSN name so we can talk quickly on there.

Thanks
~Pete

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Find a anti static wrist strap like this.

Its out of stock, the time I posted it.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16899888207

You get rid of static by touching bare metal.

If you put the strap on it clamps onto the bare metal of the case and keeps your body grounded.

Still touch the bare metal of the case every now and then with your hand. :tazz:

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
i know u said to go with the same website to save on shipping but this is a pretty good deal in my opinion, http://3btech.net/po88blphcano.html and it looks pretty cool is that one ok or is it a bad brand or whatever? Can you find the same one or one like it for the same price on new egg, i know you said u like to let the customer choose the case but im not real picky if you can find a pretty cool looking one like that ill go with it.

Thanks
~Peter

oh and btw i think u missed my last post can u check it out.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Get one like this, its a solid case and its not flimsy like powmax. Powmax the one you picked is really flimsy and poorly designed. Cheap..

Get this if you have enough.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811144101

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
yea looks pretty sweet ill go with that then, and btw is this dvd rw any good http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129164 i know u gave me the sony but i heard sonys have some problems and its more expensive is this a good one?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah if you want to save alittle money go with that burner.

Plextor is another good brand.

Edited by jrm20, 03 January 2006 - 03:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Plextor, lite-on and LG are all good brands, i like the LG one i have burns every format of DVD and comes in all the colours and its got nice little syling touches.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Yea they are good brands but im going to go with the pioneer, its the best one i can get for the price. Hey Jrm20 can u please gimme you aim or sumthing simpler to reach you by.

Thanks
~Pete