Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buildin a new pc PLEASE HELP! IMPORTANT!

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When you set up the drive try putting a system parition in at 20-40 gigs then another partition for data to use the rest of the space that way the drive will always have the data in future even if you have to format the system parition, best to do a fresh install of everything though, trying it anyother way is more trouble than its worth.

Advertisements

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
k ill try that thanks guys.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
btw when is that new windows supposed to come out?

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
my motherboard did not come with a sound cable for the dvdrw drive do i need that or should i get one?? where can i get one from besides offline can i get one from the bestbuy or circuitcity???

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
All the cdrom sound cable is for is when you are listening to music on a cd running from the cd rom drive.

Dvd movies also.

I dont think you can get it at bestbuy or circuit city.

I dont think radio shack would. They might.

They always come with my cd or dvd burners. I have gotten some from friends before also. The OEM is why your drive didnt come with one.

The best thing to do is buy one off the internet. Custom computer shops would have some if you had one in your area.

Just goto a custom computer shop or buy online. Its not really a big problem, you can wait a few days for it to get to your home if you order it. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most people will never ever use the sound cable though as they have a line out on the front of the pc that does the same job. Ive not got any of the drives hooked up for sound in my pcs.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
ill just order one from newegg with my next order which is my video card :tazz: im excited lol

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
i cant find them can u help me find 1??

THanks
~Peter

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im sure JRM can help newegg is always slow for me when it works right, but im not in the US so that might be the bother.

They are utterly pointless i dont know of anyone i know ever using the CD drive audio out, you just use the normal one from the sound card or chip.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
k but if i put in a dvd movie will the sound still work?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Maybe I should of been more specific, you dont really need one.

Its if you have earphones and want to hook them up to the jack on the front of the drive. Quite a few ppl I know buy the expensive earphones like $100 and use that for everything...

You dont need to buy that cable.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Alot of people dont have speakers at all and go the earphone way..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Although most who have a decent set of earphones these days have the surround sound kind in which case they have to use the normal audio out at the back anyway. Most PCs also have an audio out at the fron of the case which serves the same function as the one on the drive.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah that front jack on the cd drives are kinda a waste lmao.

Its for those lazy people that dont feel like bending down and hooking it up to the back.

I usually just install the cable just for the heck of it. LOL

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
lol, ok i understand now, i dont even u that plug on my pc now anyway, and if i want it ill just unhook it from my pc now :tazz: lol.