Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A New Windows Operating System?

• Please log in to reply

Laptop Boy

Laptop Boy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Have you guys heard of a new XP or a new type of OS coming out this year? <_<

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Windows XP Service Pack 2 is due out in the third quarter of this year. Windows Longhorn (the next Windows operating system) is scheduled for release in 2006.

Windows XP SP2 Resources:

Microsoft
Paul Thurrott's Supersite
PC World

Windows Longhorn Resources:

Microsoft
Paul Thurrott's Supersite
Extreme Tech

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There's also a 64-bit version of Windows due. This is for 64-bit CPU's (i.e. AMD). I just read an interesting article on how Intel software engineers provide many of the Windows drivers. Since they won't have a consumer version 64-bit CPU for another 6-9 months, they're not too interested in helping Microsoft on this project.

Also, Microsoft has a core group of people working on Windows. They do everything from SP2 to Longhorn. The increased focus on security has taken many manhours away from Longhorn to work on SP2, and is delaying its release. The 64-bit version of Windows is already late, and I don't think it's a big priority for Microsoft.