Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Sonic Update Manager" on Dell PC Dimension E510 Bootup

• Please log in to reply

jen10

jen10

• Pip
  • 1 posts

No problem. The reply was actually for anyone else who just got a new system (especially a Dell) with this particular bundled software, as you said you had already resolved your issue. I personally can't stand all these stripped versions of software that come preinstalled on these machines, and will probably start formatting and reinstalling the OS on all future computers as soon as they come out of the box. It's the only way to know what you're getting.

Where did you find this hotfix? I have been all over the Sonic site and can't find it. This problem is actually happening on my Inspiron b130 but I assume the fix would be the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

jackashe

jackashe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
googled for "sonic hotfix update manager"

first hit was from dell:

http://support.dell....5844&l=en&s=gen

it has the hotfix.

lisa_8113

lisa_8113

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just have a few simple questions about this Sonic Update Manager...

1. How will deleting it affect my computer?
2. What other programs can I download to burn dvds instead of using Sonic?
3. Does Windows Media Player play and burn dvds/cds?

yogidude

yogidude

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks to all of you in this forum. I got a new Dell with roxio bundled. Tried to find how to kill "sonic update.."
(What a pain in the rear) I followed PatRoskam's advice and found "issch" and "isuspm" in the startup section in Task Manager. Unchecked them and voila! Magic.

I would never have been able to figure out which of the many items do whatever because they alll seem to be Microsoft stuff. How did you discern that it was "issch" and "isuspm" ? I'd love to know how to identify what these things do.

Thanks again.

skimaskman

skimaskman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good work Pat, thats been bugging me.
I know this thread is all but dead, but I'll throw my tuppence worth in anyway.
The fix supplied by Pat (to remove the startup processes) is not 'cutting the finger off', but rather stopping the bleeding. (uninstalling the program would be cutting the finger off!)

I knew that there would be some of this kind of rubbish on the PC when I bought it, but I didn't think that a) it would try to install and fail each time the PC starts or b) that there would be do damned much of it.

I think Yvonne has the right idea, give the customer the option. But Dell would never go for that, because the disk would end up like the flyer for some mail order tat you get inside a magazine, tossed in the bin without even looking at it.

terrisgold

terrisgold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

The two processes to remove from startup using msconfig are "issch" and "isuspm". Also, these processes can be killed directly from within Task Manager if they've already started. Both are part of Roxio's MyDVD LE that comes bundled on new systems. The software's garbage, for the most part, so you may just want to remove it entirely in Add/Remove Programs. Let me know if you're still having problems after this.

[color=#339999] Thank you Pat, unticking "issch" and "isuspm" from Startup did the trick. My computer is a Dell and I hadn't realised how much stuff has been pre-installed. I think a cleanup is in order!

Many thanks again for your help.

Theresa

Edited by terrisgold, 21 June 2006 - 09:16 AM.

The Machine

The Machine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just wanted to post a message to say thanks to all you guys who've offered advice on this subject.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with Sonic CD/DVD burning software. I recently istalled Adobe Acrobat Pro Suite and ever since, I've been plagued with the Sonic Update Manager pop-ups. Tried killing them from the Task Manager, but they kept coming back. Eventually Googled it and stumbled across this forum. As a result I've downloaded the hotfix which has cured the problem.

Here's the info I found after following your advice, posted for anyone else suffering (includes link for fix):

"Usually, a "UM.MSI" error means that the update manager may have become corrupted and needs to be reinstalled. To resolve there are three options:
Permanently remove the Sonic Update Manager. This will not affect the performance of any Sonic/Roxio software currently installed on the system.

Reinstall the application. If your software was bundled with hardware you may have to contact the manufacturer. While Sonic provides support for the software, the manufacturer of the bundle is in charge of any updates and replacements. Please visit the manufacturer's website for replacement discs and updates to your Sonic/Roxio software.

This may be caused by removing certain non-Sonic/Roxio applications that share file resources with our Sonic/Roxio software. To fix, you will need to replace these files with this fix utility:

http://tools.roxio.c...isum_hotfix.exe

Be sure all Sonic and Roxio applications are shut down before launching this utility. This hotfix requires a reboot. No reinstallation of the software is necessary."

Thanks again,

Machine

lorenz

lorenz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I don't understand what the big fuss is. I actually do like Sonic and I like keeping it. I have an Inspiron and have the same problem described here. I went to the Sonice site, downloaded a hotfix, ran it, and it was taken care of. 5 mins max. Never have the same problem again. Sometimes when the finger is a little sore there is no need to cut it off. If you actually don't care for the Sonic software I suppose you did the right thing.

Obviously you are not having problems with it like we are.

lorenz

lorenz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am so terribly frustrated with this new Dell. Every single day, upon log on, this same "Sonic Manager" tries to load and asks me for a disk. I do not have a disk. When I close it out, it keeps coming right back. It simply will not allow you to close it out.
I have gone to the program manager and tried to remove the program but it keeps replying "Another installation is in progress, complete that installation before proceeding". I cannot complete the installation as I have no disk and I cannot delete it either.
I have also tried your suggestion to go to "start" and to type misconfig. This will not work as my system "cannot find miscomfig". This has taken up a half hour of my time and still is not corrected.
I have no need for this proram and do not like how it hangs me up. What do I do now?

JenBriggs

JenBriggs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It looks my version was installed by a DVD that I rented from BlockBuster.... Rescue Me... I noticed the new software last night... but didn't pay attention...now the update manager is popping up on and won't go away.. it will not let me remove because it says that there is a installation going on... I looked on the Sonic site and searced for hotfix and could not find it.. any suggetions?

Advertisements

Lecutus

Lecutus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I ran Hijackthis and deleted these two entries:

HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup

HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start

:whistling: Sorted, no more Sonic Update messages!

lijepoPace

lijepoPace

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you all, especially Pat

I made use of your suggestion with msconfig and removed the two processes:
"issch" and "isuspm". This worked for me.

-lijepoPace

Edited by lijepoPace, 29 October 2006 - 07:24 AM.

spetzna

spetzna

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found that if I take the ISUSPM update service icon out of the file and just place it on the desk top start up cant find it and the prompt to update goes away. :whistling:

MJ2005

MJ2005

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks to all who responded here. As a novice I fear making changes to my PC, but I was able to quickly use the patch (which I ended up linking to through the Dell support site) to clear up the problem in under 5 minutes!

-MJ

kozi

kozi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't have experience with Dell, but with other systems I have used, this message popped up when Sonic came bundled as part of the system. It is asking for the system disk that either came with the machine or that you created. This is the preferable solution, as it will keep Sonic and update it accordingly.

Disabling part of the installation of Sonic is not the answer. It is like removing your car's instrument panel to respond to a warning light. It works, but .....

If you hacked the installation or the registry keys to get rid of the warning, you may be able to go back to your original disks and reinstall Sonic, then update. Some system disks will allow installation of single applications. Others give you an all or nothing option on re-installing anything. If this is the case, you are out of luck.