Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scesrv.dll problems...

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad everything is working as it should be now. :tazz:

Fenor

Advertisements

Angel of Light

Angel of Light

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry if this is considered trolling, but this is the first thread I found that addresses my problem.

Whenever I start up my machine, I get this error message then a black screen with my mouse cursor.

The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\SCESRV.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I get the same message in safe mode. I have my XP disc and tried the "chkdsk /p /r" from the recovery console that was suggested first in this thread, but nothing changed. I don't know what else to do.

Edited by Angel of Light, 17 November 2006 - 01:19 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
please start a new topic, don't post you're problems in other peoples topic, this is to avoid confusion.

-OCM770-

P.S. Welcome to Geeks To Go!

daljeetsingh53

daljeetsingh53

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I start my computer and try logging into windows xp, a message pops up that says, "The application has failed to start because scesrv.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

The problem w/ fixing the problem is I don't know where to get this application, nor can I log into windows to re-install it. Please help. Thank you in advance.

dj2

dj2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have the exact same problem and followed all the steps outlined in this thread. chkdsk took a long time and finally said it repaired something. when i rebooted, i am still getting the same error message - that scesrv.dll was not found.

before doing this i also tried taking the hard drive out and putting it in an enclosure and connecting it to another computer via a usb. first i backed up all my personal files. then i looked and could see a file called scesrv.dll in the windows/system32 folder. i guess it's corrupted. i tried deleting and re pasting the scesrv.dll file (trying to use the file from the working computer, which is also running on windows xp home edition). but the computer would not let me delete the file, nor let me copy and paste. it would also not let me rename the file.

any ideas what to do now?

thx.

dj

dj2

dj2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
fixed my computer!

never did get a response from anyone viewing this website, but i realize people are busy. i'm posting here how it was resolved, in case it helps someone else down the road....

1. removed the hard drive from the "broken" computer and put it in a disk enclosure. ($60 at best buy)
2. plugged the disk enclosure into a working computer via a usb connection and backed up all our personal files (photos, etc.) onto that copmuter's hard drive and onto DVD.
3. tried to delete the damaged scesrv.dll file from the windows/system32 folder on the hard drive in the enclosure but the working computer would not let me delete the file.
4. tried to rename the file and then delete it, but that didn't work either.
5. tried to copy the same file from the hard drive on the working computer (both comuters are running WINDOWS XP) and paste it into the hard drive in the enclosure, but the computer would have none of that either.
6. put the hard drive back into the computer it came out of and turned the computer on. still had the error message (of course)
7. turned the "broken" computer on and pressed F2 to get into setup.
8. changed the boot sequence to boot from the cd drive then booted the computer from the cd drive with the operating system reinstallation disk inserted.
9. computer asked me to press any key to boot from the cd drive, so i did
10. a bunch of files were loaded from the cd and i was nervous that it would be reinstalling windows, but that's not what happened.
11. eventually got to a screen where i selected "1" as the system i wanted it to look at
12. pressed enter without typing anything first when it asked for a password.
13. at the command prompt, i typed chkdsk /p /r
14. took a REALLY long time to check the disk
15. finally finished and said it found one or more bad things. i was so hopeful that it repaired them.
16. but no, it didn't. when i took out the cd and changed the boot sequence back to the hard drive, the computer still gave the same error message about the file missing.
17. i found a link on a different thread on this board where the scesrv.dll file could be downloaded, so i used my good computer to download a copy. my computer had no problems with me moving that downloaded copy around from folder to folder, so i thought i'd give it another try.
18. took the "broken" ard drive out of its computer and put it back into the disk enclosure.
19. hooked it up to the good computer lo and behold, when i looked into the wndows/system32 folder there was no longer any file names scesrv.dll !!! i guessed chkdsk deleted the bad file, but did not reinstall a good copy of the file.
20. my lucky day. i pasted in the file which i'd downloaded, hooked everything back up where it belonged, and voila! could not believe how happy i was to see it all working again!!

THANKS EVERYONE who had posted on the various threads i read on this site. you all enabled me to piece together a solution. i hope this (sorry its long) description helps someone else someday. total cost of my repair was $60 for the disk enclosure, which i can see might come in handy in the future, and is WAY BETTER than giving best buy $200 or more for the repair.