Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Novice: ME not detecting network adapter?

• Please log in to reply

rcj2a

rcj2a

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have set up a network once before and my old place with no problems. I have gotten married and moved and am trying to set up my wife's laptop on a workgroup so that we can file/print share and am getting frustrated.

My set up: I have a desktop that runs XP that is wired to my Linksys G router. I installed a Gateway wireless G adapter on my wife's laptop. This laptop runs ME. I can connect to the internet fine on the laptop. My issues begin when trying to establish a workgroup and file/print share.

What I did: I've run the network setup wizard on the XP machine and create a network setup disc. I put this floppy in the ME laptop and it looks like it loads a few files and what not, restarts the computer and then I get an error that says network adapter is not detected. I have also tried to use the home network wizard on the ME machine and it doesn't even let me get started before I get an error which says the network adapter is not detected. I can connect to the internet fine, i don't understand why its telling me the network adapter isn't detected. It does show up in the network settings. One other piece of information, I've run what's called a network diagnostic and when giving information about the installed adapter, it says "UNREACHABLE".

Another wrinkle: On the XP machine, in My Network Places, when I click view workgroup computers I get a long pause and then an error: "Network Name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." I'm not sure what gives with this error message, I thought I was the administrator?

I would appreciate any advice that anyone out there could give me!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Both computers need to have the same workgroup name.

Anyway you shouldn't really need the Network Setup Wizard as Windows is usually set up by default to talk to a router without any further intervention needed.

Turn off any firewalls you may be running.

rcj2a

rcj2a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for replying!

I'm sure that both computers have the same workgroup name.

I've disabled the firewalls installed on both the desktop and laptop

What's the next step? I'm really unsure how to connect to the other computer?

rcj2a

rcj2a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Disregard, I've finally figured it out!!!!

Thanks for your help.