Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Network My 2 Computers.

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I REALLY don't have any idea what I'm doing and I need some help. PLEASE!

Edited by moondog830, 03 January 2006 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello moondog830 and welcome to G2G,

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correcting your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC's in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?

2) Is your ISP a Cable Company or DSL Phone Company?

3) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE, Static) ?

4) Are you Connecting the computers By a Hub, Switch, Router, or ICS with Two Network Cards on one PC.

5) What is the Model and Manufacturer of any Routers, Hubs, Switches you are using?

6) Are you Connecting Through a Wired Network or a Wireless Network?

7) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Network Card or adapters (Specify if Wired or Wireless) currently Installed on your problematic PC?

8) [IF WIRELESS] Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration (referred to as WZC)?

9) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
:tazz:
I changed the Title and Description of my post as I had about 29 people look at my original, but no one bothered to help me.
I am new at networking. I don't even know what I should have in the way of equipment or hardware or how to look for it.
I will answer the questions that I can.

1. Both computers have Windows XP with SP2

2. We are going to use dial-up. ( I understand that this is NOT the best solution, but we live out in the sticks and our only other option is satellite and we can't afford that at the moment)

3. I don't even know what you mean.

4 Which would be best? I have a hub I got from my brother-in-law that he said would work (CentreCOM MR420T ... Multiport Micro Hub/Repeater)

5. Answered this one I think above.

6. Answered this one I think in #2.

7. The adapters would be wired, but don't know where to find the information.

8. NA

9. I haven't done any .... as I have no idea what I'm doing.

I understand if you decide not to help me, nobody else wanted to help. In any case, thanks for taking the time to try to help in the first place.

dog

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Wow Moondog380, A Dial Up Network sounds scary. as you can imigine in a perfect world of dialup the maximum speed you would ever get would be at 56Kb. Now cut that in half for your actual daily speeds then cut it in half again for a 2 PC network and were left running at about 12 KB. AND THAT IS REALLY REALLY SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW.

BUT we have all been strapped for cash before (or at least real people like me who work for a living), so I will offer what assistance I can in getting you fixed up.

In Question number two you answered that you were going to use dialup but you didn't specifiy which Internet Service Provider you plan on using. I need to know what ISP your using so we can find out the answer to question number three as this is the most important question of them all.

In question number four you want to use the CentreCOM MR420T, please follow this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting
and let me know if this is the hub you want to use.

*NOTE* If using a HUB or SWITCH You can share internet access very easily but Sharing Files amongst your two PC's is very difficult, so you may want to think of using windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) instead which is much easier to setup, is much cheaper and works better for everything (in a dialup environment).

If this is the same Hub and you are dead set on using it then disregard the rest of this post.

Preferred Cheap Option 1 - No router/hub/switch - using Just Windows
Using your Current onboard dialup modem (on pc1) and your onboard ethernet card (on pc1) along with the onboard ethernet card (from pc2) and use Windows ICS which is already installed on Windows XP. You will also need a Crossover ethernet cable such as this:
http://www.cables4sure.com/products~id~33~partner~crossover.htm and also a NIC like this if you dont have one on each pc: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003006R/103-2734410-1289446?v=glance&n=172282

Cheap Option 2
This is assuming that boith computers have ehternet cards and at least one pc also has an internal dialup modem. Here are some HUBS we can use:

LINKSYS
http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper
NETGEAR
http://www.netgear.c...tails/DS104.php
OFFBRANDS
http://froogle.googl...scoring=p&hl=en
A switch instead of a Hub
http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

As for what hardware you currently have on your PC's, follow these steps and post your replies:

Click on START buttom at the bottom left
scroll up to the MY COMPUTER icon and right click on it
select PROPERTIES
When the window opens... select the HARDWARE tab
click on the DEVICE MANAGER button
scroll down to NETWORK ADAPTERS and expand it by clicking the + sign next to it.
copy down all items listed under it and post it in your reply as PC1 or PC2 NETWORKING hardware
now scroll up or down to MODEMS (If there is no entry for this then you dont have one on the pc
again click the + sign next to it
again copy down all items listed under it and post it in your reply as PC1 or PC2 MODEM hardware

Please also clarify if we are going to use the big CentreCOM MR420T hub, the preferred ICS option, or purchase a newer Hub.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 04 January 2006 - 11:23 AM.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
My Internet Service Provider is www.journey.com

I said the CentreCOM MR420T is the one I HAVE, but we don't have to use it if things
will be easier without it. I got it from my Brother-in-law who thought I HAD to have it.

So if we don't need it, no biggie, I'll give it back to him.

PC1 Network Adapters:

1394 Net Adapter #2

Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection #2

PC1 Modem:

SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP #3

PC2 Network Adapter:

SMC EZ Card PCI 10 Adapter (SMC 1208)

PC2 Modem:

U.S. Robotics Faxmodem Win 1801

I have a cable that says CAT5 Crossover Cable. The other 2 say CAT5 Patch/Jumper.

I also have another SMC EZ Card PCI 10 Adapter (SMC 1208) that I can use if I need it.

Am I all set? Equipmentwise I mean?

Edited by moondog830, 05 January 2006 - 07:00 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the Reply Moondog I didn't forget about you I was just very busy the last two days at work and didn't get home untill really late both nights - seems everyone got Wireless routers and new computers for christmas and waited till now to have them connected.

You have the exact hardware we need to get this going. If your still watching the post, post a reply and I'll get you started on a walkthrough of how to set it up.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 07 January 2006 - 10:30 AM.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
SpaceCowboy,
Present and accounted for :tazz: ready to go when you are!

Moondog

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Welcome back Moony, <----- Your new Shortened Nickname on this topic as it's shorter for me to type :tazz:

Follow this diagram on how to PHYSICALLY Setup your Dial-up ICS. When this is completed post back and we will get on to the PC Setup.

*WARNING*
My graphic art is very poor, but it is easy to understand.

Dialup_ICS_Visual.JPG

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Space, (shortened version for your name)
Done, and I have an icon in the startup section that is title Local Area Connection 5 with a status of limited or no connectability.

Moony :tazz:

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Here we go... :tazz:

PC1 is what we will call the Host PC from now on (this Pc has the Dialup modem connected to the phone line and a Crossover cord going out to the secondary pc)...

PC2 is what we will call the Secondary PC from now on (has a crossover input to the ethernet card (aka NIC)...

We are going to creat a Network Bridge as detailed in the following steps:

1. Go to the Host PC
2. Click on START, CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK CONNECTIONS
3. Hold down the CTRL key and select the Dialup Connection and the Ethernet connection then right click on one of the two while leaving them still highlighted... like this:
bridge.JPG
4. Now select BRIDGE CONNECTIONS
5. You will get a Popup like this
popup.JPG
6. The Network Bridge then appears in the list of network connections, along with the connections that are included in the bridge, such as this:
bridge_done.JPG
7. To configure the NETWORK BRIDGE, right click it and select PROPERTIES.
properties.JPG
8. Now I need you to post me a pic of what your NETWORK BRIDGE PROPERTIES SCREEN looks like (for the GENERAL and AUTHENTICATION tabs, so I can tell you how to configure it from here on out as our ICS connections are differrent. If you dont know how to post screen shots see the steps below:

How to Post a screen Shot:
1. Right now press PRINT SCREEN SYSRQ Key on your keyboard. You will not notice that anything happenned.
2. Open PAINT from your START, ALL PROGRAMS< ACCESSORIES.
3. After the program loads on the left side select the button that has a square made of dashes
4. Move your mouse cursor that now has turned into a cross, out into the white area of the canvas and right click and select PASTE.
5. Now click the FILE link in the upper left hand corner and select SAVE AS
6. In the Save in box just save the item to your desktop for quick refferrence
7. In the file name just put anything in there
8. In the Save as Type Box select JPEG
9. Navigate back to this page nad go to post a reply Link
10. Down below the link is a File attachments section. just click the browse button and locat the file on your desktop and click the Add this Attachment button.
11. After waiting a few seconds below the Add this Attachment boox you will now see a list of files you have added just click the Add into Post button for the file you added. when the screenshot is added all you will see is a little string of text saying [attachmentid=?????for whatever number it its}
12. click the add reply button and your done.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 07 January 2006 - 04:21 PM.

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Space,
I see what might be a problem here. I don't have an Ethernet Connection on PC1 OR PC2.
I am attaching a picture of what is in my Network Connections.
Network_Connections_Screen.jpg

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
We are bridging these two money...

bridge_1.JPG

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay,
Now I get this.

Moony

Attached Thumbnails

• Network_Connections_Screen.jpg

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Ok Now Im stumped.. let me try this on mine..I'll post back in a bit.

Do both computers have XP HOME or PRO

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 08 January 2006 - 03:10 PM.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
PC2 is running Pro and PC1 is running Home

Edited by moondog830, 08 January 2006 - 06:47 PM.