Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Network My 2 Computers.

• Please log in to reply

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
On the Client computer, please do the following:
  • Open up My Network Connections.
  • In the side panel, select 'Set up a home or small office network'.
  • Click Next until you reach the screen that asks 'Select a connection method'.
  • Choose the option that states 'This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network'.
  • Now continue to press 'Next', filling in the correct details as you go along. Make sure the workgroup stays as the default.
Once the setup wizard is finished, attempt to connect to the Internet on the Client computer by opening Internet Explorer and browsing the internet... You may need to restart your computer first.

Advertisements

c_holland

c_holland

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Even though I have a wireless router in my setup, perhaps the attachment will be of some use.

The biggest problem I had was my wireless router kept being the default internet gateway connection when XP's autoconfig software ran.

I assume your Host ISP connection has TCP/IP addresses that are automatically configured

Concerning the Network TCP/IP settings, I had to change the default IP address of the router so it was out of the Subnet mask for my network, then make all my PCs have an IP that fell within the Subnet mask for the network. When I want to browse my router I need to temporarily change my IP, but that is not a problem. The important things seemed to be getting the DNS server IP set to the Host IP on all PCs, setting the default Gateway to the Host IP on all the client, and only firewalling the Dial-up connection itself, no internal firewall is enabled.

I also have my hosts. file setup with each networked PCs Ip and name, but don't think that has anything to do with ICS

I did disable the ethernet card and VPN adaptor LAN connections to make the wireless network the only High Speed LAN connection

Since you can ping, I suspect everything is O.K TCP/IP wise. You might try making both PCs part of the same workgroup though.

If you do, you should be able to use Windows explorer to browse from one PC to the other via entering
\\TOMMYS or \\moondogs in the address bar

In the attachment I show all the TABs for network settings on the Host. The only difference for my clients is the clients are all configured with an IP within the mask 192.168.2.xxx, and the default gateway IP is specified to be the Host IP.

Once you set all these things up, you need to reboot, even though you get no warning (changing IPs wihtout rebooting screws things up).

Attached Files

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
On the Client computer, please do the following:
Open up My Network Connections.
In the side panel, select 'Set up a home or small office network'.
Click Next until you reach the screen that asks 'Select a connection method'.
Choose the option that states 'This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network'.
Now continue to press 'Next', filling in the correct details as you go along. Make sure the workgroup stays as the default.

I followed the above step by step and it still doesn't work. AAAACKK!!! I even rebooted and NO!

Once the setup wizard is finished, attempt to connect to the Internet on the Client computer by opening Internet Explorer and browsing the internet... You may need to restart your computer first.

This is really getting me annoyed .... I'm almost ready to :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Open up your Network Connections, and then right click on your Internet connection and select 'Properties'. In the 'General' tab, please take a screen shot and post it.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
On the Host computer, please do the following:
  • Choose the option that states 'This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect through this computer.
  • Press 'Next'.
  • Select your Internet connection from the list (your Journey connection).
  • Continue to press 'Next' until the setup is completed.
Once the setup wizard is finished, reconnect to the Internet, then attempt to connect the Client computer to the Internet; you may need to restart the Host computer first and/or shut down any Firewall(s).

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Screenshot as requested

Edited by moondog830, 12 January 2006 - 07:12 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im Still here Mooney and Dan... I haven't abandoned you guys... IM on CRASH 3 now in the last week of trying to get Fedora Core working on my PC. Dan has got you going down the right road on this. I know that this works.

Between Crash #3 and Crash #2 on my PC I connected my sons PC onboard NIC to the PCI NIC on my compouter and then my Onboard NIC to the Cable modem and after bridging the two and running the setup wizard we were able to surf the net on both pc's. There is no reason why this isn't working other than something on the HOST PC blocking the connection.

Moony where did the screenshot go? Says you edited it?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I have no doubt you guys can help me with this. I have faith. As to the screenshot, Dan told me there was personal stuff on it that I should take it down. He didn't say what to black out....so I haven't put it back!

This all might end up being moot anyway. I have just ordered Satellite Internet through Direcway. But, if the Host PC is "blocking" something ..... would that still end up being a problem once I get that connection?

Dog

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

On the Host computer, please do the following:

• Choose the option that states 'This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers on my network connect through this computer.
  • Press 'Next'.
  • Select your Internet connection from the list (your Journey connection).
  • Continue to press 'Next' until the setup is completed.
Once the setup wizard is finished, reconnect to the Internet, then attempt to connect the Client computer to the Internet; you may need to restart the Host computer first and/or shut down any Firewall(s).

Just a quick question, moondog; did you ever run those steps? You never replied saying that you did or not.
Thanks.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Sorry for the delay in response .... was offline Saturday for a powerlifting tournament that my son took first in his weight class and offline Sunday while the Direcway rep came out and hooked me up to Direcway Satellite Internet.

I did the steps that you had in the last post and nothing worked. Will the fact that my ISP has changed change anything we've done?

A couple of other questions .... Host PC can PING Client and Client PC can PING Host ... this means they are communicating right? Then why won't any of the rest of it work? I'm so :tazz:

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Yes big changes now and hopefully much easier..... how did he connect you?..... Hopefully to an thernet card on your Host PC.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay, big change in setup ... got it. Now I have the cable from Direcway plugged into my network card. Does this mean that I have to put the other EZ Card 10 in the Host now?

Also should this now work with just the crossover cable? Or do I need to get a router and all that other stuff to make it work?

dog

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
We can still do it the way we planned much much easier... or we can do the router part whichever you prefer. If we continue this way you will now have to have two network cards in the HOST computer and still just 1 network card in the secondary computer. we will still also have to use the crossover cable too.

Network cards are very cheap and very easy to install if you still want to go this way. you can purchase one at just about any electronics store (wal-mart) for about 10 to 15 dollars. routers range in price from 40 to a couple hundred thousand dollars :tazz: depending on what you want. Let me know what we are going to do?

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay, I have another EZ Card 10 SMC Ethernet Card (like the one in the Client PC) that I will put in the Host first thing tomorrow. It's 11pm and it's my beddy bye time.

dog

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
After You get the other NIC installed Referr back to POST # 10 for directions on how to bridge the Connection. We will still be using the original NIC in the Host in addition to the new NIC you will be installing (also in the Host) now and creating a bridge between the two. Remember to have the crossover hooked up to the New NIC on the host and the NIC on the Secondary PC before doing the bridge. Post back if you need clarification on any of this.

PS... NIC stands for Network Interface Card... or Ethernet Card :tazz: