Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Network My 2 Computers.

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
No, but I'm heading to the city tomorrow to return a mistakenly bought switch and wire to get a router (just in case) and I'll pick up an ethernet card as well.

dog

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Forgot to specify, but the apparent bad ethernet card is on the Client PC while the error was on the Host.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Dan and SpaceCowboy,
Thanks for all your help. What it boils down to is.

If you have a Direcway Satellite Connection you must have a router. Not a switch, not a hub, a router

Once I connected up with the router and did as directed by the directions, I still had to contact www.linksys.com because some of my settings on my son's PC were not correct. They helped
me get it all squared away and within 20 minutes I was up and running.

According to Direcway, the ONLY way to share the modem is by using a router. You can
NOT do internet sharing using one PC as the HOST and any others as a CLIENT.

I hope this helps anyone else who has my problem.

I thank you both for your help andyour patience.

dog

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Thanks moondog -- that's very useful to know. I'm sorry we couldn't be of more help; however, thanks for posting your solution :tazz: