Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Hangs On Startup

• Please log in to reply

mrtuft

mrtuft

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I wonder if someone can help with this one ?!

When I boot my PC up (using Windows XP), it goes through the usual checks & I get the black screen with the Windows XP is loading picture with the scrolling blue bars.

After that the screen goes black & the hard-drive stops for approx 90-120 seconds. During this time there is no activity at all from the PC.

Once the 90-120 seconds is up, the PC then loads perfectly normal.

Any suggestions ??

Cheers !!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hmm, most likely either the hard drive or that installation of XP.

Might be worth doing a Windows Repair.

Boot off XP CD, press Enter when prompted, press F8 and the next screen should be an option to either Repair the current installation or install a new copy. Press R to repair. You will need your product key to hand.

When done, go to Windows Update and grab all the updates again.

mrtuft

mrtuft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply.

My problem first occurred after a fresh install of Windows due to a new motherboard. At first the PC was booting up fine, but after some of the Windows updates were installed, this 'pause' started to happen on startup.

I had then done a repair to my installation, exactly as you had suggested & although the problem initially disappeared, it came back again after some of the updates were re-installed.

I know what you're going to ask & that is, "which update caused the problem". Unfortunately, as there were so many I am not sure. I do remember that it was not one of the high priority updates & that it was after SP2 was installed.

My only other option would be to repair it once more & install the updates 1-by-1 until I find the one that causes the problem. As this is likely to be somewhat tedious, thought I would seek some help here first.

Cheers, Nick