Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

paths of an application

• Please log in to reply

angelblade27

angelblade27

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
hi when we install an application which do places of the computer does it get it installed to.
i recently installed a program and then uninstalled it. then i search the registry and deleted all entreis with that programs name. however when i installed it the saved documents went to the last place i had pointed and created a folder on the desktop. which made me understand there must be someother place where the program must have entries. does anyone know were it is?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Actually, programs install where ever they want nowadays. A lot of entries are in the System32 folder, but that wouldn't help since the entries themselves may not be under or related to the program name. They would be difficult to find without checking the properties of all the files in the System32 folder and seeing who owns the file. A huge and daunting task!

A system restore "might" get rid of the files if you knew for certain when you installed the program and you could restore your computer to a prior date.

What program are you referring to, by the way?

Edited by makai, 29 December 2005 - 01:31 PM.

angelblade27

angelblade27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
weli was simply testing. one of the programs is limewire.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Unfortunately, GTG policy is not to support users with P2P programs. Sorry.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
How come?

angelblade27

angelblade27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
well i can understand it. i had used it for a week but didn't like it. so instlaled it. i also installed norton but removed it as it was suggested since it slows down the system. i removed the entries in the regedit and also the applicaiton data folder containing symentec. is there anything else i can do?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Something like tune up 2006 might get rid of the entries.