Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition - explorer.exe problems

• Please log in to reply

LoJo

LoJo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi There,

I hope someone can help...

The computer has Windows XP Home Edition - when trying to boot up we get an error msg: explorer.exe failed to initialize. It is the same error msg number that Microsoft shows for this, but instead of ending in 05 it ends in 06.

I tried starting in safe mode, but same error msg. Then in safe mode with command prompt - typed in CHKDSK in case it would fix a bad sector. Same error msg on reboot. Any suggestions??

Please help!!

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi LoJo! Welcome to G2G!

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

LoJo

LoJo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!!

Another problem has arisen. The original disk is missing. I know I can contact Microsoft and get a replacement CD for about $25, but once I get this and install, will I be able to recover when I follow your directions? or since it is not the original disk will I not be able to recover?

Please let me know,

Thanks again for the help!!

Edited by LoJo, 29 December 2005 - 05:22 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have the ability to burn cds, then please download Recovery Console. If you are using nero, you burn it by choosing RECORDER-->BURN IMAGE and select the RC.ISO file.

Once you have it burned on a CD, do what I said in my previous post to enter the Recovery Console and do what I asked.

Fenor