Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to defrag and it wont work

• Please log in to reply

saraface

saraface

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Everything else on my computer is running beautifully... but I really need to defrag. When I analyze the drive, it tells me I should.. but when I try to, it doesn't get past 1%. Am I being impatient? I let it run for half an hour and it didn't get any farther. :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi saraface!

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Once your computer has rebooted, try running defrag again and see how far you can get.

Fenor

Abbasgirl

Abbasgirl

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same problem and I tried your suggestion but I still can't get the defrag to work. I even tried to reinstall my windows with the same disk I used the first time and it told me that the version on my computer was newer than the disk and I couldn't instal the disk....HELP