Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does the ATI Radeon Mobility X300 differ from the non-Mobility?

• Please log in to reply

Scotty317

Scotty317

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just curious, I'm looking at getting a laptop with the mobility chipset and assume it operates the same just in a laptop.

Thank you!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it uses system memory and usually operates at slightly lower speeds to prevent excess heat.

Scotty317

Scotty317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the feedback!

Does it have the same game compatabilities? i.e. Call of Duty?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
yeah it will play the same games, but it wont be spectacular being a laptop and it eats into your ram as well which isnt good for games. Not bad for a laptop though, if you set it to DX7 mode it will run well.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes, older games like call of duty should work ok. won't quite be like a desktop performance, but very acceptable. however newer games like cod2 and fear won't play well because of the shared memory.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It might be helpful if you pointed us to the laptop. Some x300s actually comes with dedicated memory (128mb), not shared memory.

It does run at a slower clock speed then it's desktop brethern, so that is true, but by and large if it runs on a desktop x300, it will run on a laptop x300...the other reason it runs slightly slower, in addition to heat, is battery life. UNderclocking hte gpu enhances battery life

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it does depend on the laptop there are quite a few flavours of the x300 mobility.

Scotty317

Scotty317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm looking at the HP Compaq nx6115 which states "Integrated ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 with up to 128-MB allocated system memory". That implies to me that it does not have dedicated memory?

Thanks all for your help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah would say that to me as well, so its not going to be the top of the gaming x300 range but it will be no slouch if you get a gig of ram itll be pretty good.