Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IDE Drive Diagnostics

• Please log in to reply

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I just ran a IDE Drive Diagnostics because I believe I am having trouble with one of the drives, because it doesn't seem to reconize anything in that drive so this is what it came up with
1. Primary SATA - Drive 0: No Device
2. Secondary SATA - Drive 0: No Device
3. Primary IDE - Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y080L0; Fail. Return Code 7
4. Primary IDE - Drive 1: No Device
5. Secondary IDE - Drive 0: Samsung DVD ROM SD-616E Diagnostics not supported
6. Secondary IDE - Drive 1: HL-DT-ST GCE-8483B Diagnostics not supported.

Please help me to understand all this and if there is a problem with what was found and how to go about fixing it.

Thanks
Brenda

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

This looks like a report taken off a running computer... or was this done from the floppy?

You're going to have to give a little more information about what's happening. Can you access or not access the drive, will the drive boot up, etc. Is the drive hooked up as a slave in another computer?

A lot of guess work can be averted if you include more details of the problem.

Thanks

Brenda6072

Brenda6072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a brand new printer Dell 944 AIO and I can't install it, it is saying cannot find the software. Same thing with a brand new digital camera.
I was trying to re-install XP with the OS disk and I can't even do that. So that is why I'm thinking it might be the drive itself, and after running that test on a running computer I thought maybe it was the problem.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
How did you try to install the printer? Does it connect to the USB port? Parallel port? Did XP detect the printer when you connected it? Did you install the printer drivers?

What about the digital camera? Did you install the drivers for it? Some cameras require a USB driver to be installed "before" connecting the camera to the computer. Does your camera documentation tell you how to install the drivers?

As you see, there are a lot of questions that you need to clear up. I doubt very much that it's a hard disk problem. However, please go to Start/run... type in chkdsk /f (note the space after chkdsk). If Windows gives you an option to run chkdsk at reboot, just confirm yes, and restart your machine.