Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports not working...

• Please log in to reply

Katheryan

Katheryan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, here goes...

So I have this laptop, it is an Compaq Presario 2200, and that's about all I know about it. Anyway a couple days ago it was working fine, and then it just turned off. Like boom, just off. So I called one of my sort of computer smart friends and he said just hold down the power button, and indeed it turned on eventually. But, after it started the USB ports no longer worked. There are two little ports in the back of the computer. So pretty much I need help, and that is pretty much all I got. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove the USB leads from the back of the PC

Click start then right click my computer, click properties then hardware, click device manager, scroll down to universal serial bus controller, click +

left click then right click an entry, click delete, confirm, repeat this until all the entries are gone.

Reboot the PC then plug a USB lead in

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Tried it, nothing...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts