Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noob needs help!

• Please log in to reply

MichaelNJ

MichaelNJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone,

I Really need some help and it would be greatly appreciated.

For x-mas my family bought me the new gateway FPD2185W 21" LCD : http://www.gateway.c...cd/index~~shtml

Which has a native resolution of 1680x1050 But i only had a crappy intergrated videocard that didnt support it, So i went out and bought a EVGA GeForce FX5500 256 for around $100

I got it home and installed it and everything and Hooked it up through DVI

And everything works fine but the highest Resolution i can get it to is 1280x1024. :tazz:

Each time i select anything higher from the settings menu it attempts it but the screen goes blank for a few seconds then goes back to 1280x1024?

I Know i'm an idiot but Please, If anyone can help me that would be awesome :-)

Thanks...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G MichaelNJ

It sounds like your video card that may be the problem. If you know that the card claims to definately support that resolution, they try updating the video driver as a first step & see if that helps.

Out of interest, what colour depth are you using?

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Here's a link to the latest nVidia drivers for Windows XP/2000 for your video card - http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_81.98.html

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You also got ripped off for that FX5500 they arent that good as to be worth 100 bucks.