Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent Help for Mum with Sata Disk Problems

• Please log in to reply

dibdobbs

dibdobbs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have an Evesham AMD 64 bit PC with 2 gig memory, 2 X 200 Gbyte drives and an Hitachi 400GB Sata Drive which was fitted by an Evesham engineer. For some reason this worked fine for 3-4 weeks, then suddenly you could not see the drive.

No Viruses on machine, and it appears to have lost it's partition ?? Evesham Technical support suggested after recovering software should format disk. I managed to recover my data using a program I bought and have backed this up. Not happy that something might be wrong with this drive & as it stores 186 GBytes of my valuable photos, installed a New Hitachi 400 GB Sata Drive. (identical to 1st 400GB drive) :tazz:

Right Clicking on My Computer and Manage, you can see the drive as "active" and "healthy", but you can't access it. Have tried formatting it 4-5 times. It seems to do something, takes forever, but never completes it successfully.

I don't have any idea what to try next? What can I try if Windows XP won't format it?

I am a Mum and not at all technical, and would greatly appreciate any help or ideas you could give me.

Thanks, eagerly await your help !. Warm regards

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You may need to load the most recent sata control drivers....do you know the controller you have? Is it integrated on the motherboard? If so, what kind of motherboard?