Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Installing Programs

• Please log in to reply

Kilgore

Kilgore

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All

Bit of a newbie on here so go easy on me folks :tazz:

I tried installing a program on my PC about a month ago and the installation froze during the 'preparing to install' part of the Installshield Wizard.

I aborted the install and didn't think anything of it at the time but my daughter tried to install something on her PC a few days ago and had the same problem but with a different program. Her computer is wirelessly connected to mine, both running windows 2000 using AVG anti virus and Norton Firewall.

I have googled the problem but cant find anything that solves the problem. Have tried emptying the temp folder as much as I can and have also installed Windows Installer 3.1.

I have also but not always got Installshield errors 1607 & 1628

It must be something that has come down through the internet. Could it be anything to do with the automatic Windows Updates.

Hope someone can help.

Many Thanks

Dale

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I find that some versions of installshield don;'t get a long with windows xp well...though if you allow the install to run, it will eventually get going after hanging for a while

I find Microsoft blames installshield and installshield blames microsoft.

http://consumer.inst....asp?source=all

the above is the installshield database, which has some workarounds. Perhaps one will wrok

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's a little more of a brush off than I would like--maybe you could name the program you are having issues with?

Kilgore

Kilgore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Jerry

Thanks for the quick response.

I have tried installing 3 programs.

Partition Magic 8.0
Jazler Show (radio software)
Aslo some bluetooth software for my daughters doggle thingy.

I freezes during installwizard on all three.

I have tried some of the suggestions at the link you suggested without much luck.

The weird thing as I said is this happens on both out PC's.

The last program that I managed to install successfully was a program called OTS DJ which installed fine. I then tried to install the free version of Jazler Show and it just froze. I dont know how this would affect my daughters PC though.

I am using Windows 2000 pro and have dowloaded all the updates.

Any ideas and thanks again.

Dale