Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WindowsBlinds questions...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hello. I have been currently using Stylexp.. actually have had it for a long time. Recently..ran into problems where explorer.exe has been hanging and like causing other programs to hang. Someone told me, uninstalling stylexp will rid of that problem! I haven't uninstalled it yet, and will do it soon!...I want to then download windowsblinds and use that. It's free for 60 days and then I guess I'll have to pay.. I don't know if I want to even though it's $19.95 lol. Well, anyone know about Windowsblinds and could tell me about it and what not. Thanks!!

Edited by pomp86, 29 December 2005 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Window blinds is the most bling of the skinning programs its great but its a complete hog and to get the full functionaloty you dont just have to get windowblinds there are alot of little software pieces that come with it that need payed for, its not to great and a complete system resource hog.

Style XP i used for a long while, i noticed your problem once or twice i just went into task manager closed explorer.exe then started it back up from the run window. A reinstall usually fixes the problem though.

At the moment i use aston, its the most functional of the skinning programs, and it is also the easiest on system resources being more efficient that the standard windows themes/skins.

A screenshot of my desktop with one of the default aston skins.

Attached Thumbnails

• wall1.JPG

Edited by warriorscot, 30 December 2005 - 08:05 PM.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hey, thanks for the response :tazz:...

Well, so you are saying that WindowsBlinds isn't worth using, eh???

Kk, and that Aston seems interesting and pretty cool.. How has it been working since you started using it? I don't know if I totally want to use it because since it's not explorer, I'll be using and stuff like that? How does it totally work? If you could give me some input on that and what not, that'd be great! thanks..

-Mike

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it replaces compnnents of explorer rather than windowblinds which conitnues to run explorer but skins over the top of it.

Aston has been great, its improved my startup time alot, the gap from windows starting and being logged in to it beinf usable has gone down for at least a minute to about 20 seconds running aston so performance has had a big boost from it.

It doesnt actually skin the windows though just the desktop so the problems you sometimes got with style xp and window blinds where some applications and windows were wrong sized arent there.

The drop down menus are really handy and the range of widgets availbale is good(although it takes a while to figure out how to use them.

I use it because of its ease of use with the drop down categories along the top and the improvement in performance, i havent had any problems with it since ive used it, i tried it a while ago and didnt fancy it because you do have to customize it a bit to your needs the drop down menus need made changed to have your things in them so i went to style xp but i got fed up of style xp and went back and when i had it configured i really liked it and i havent went back. There is plenty skins for it but i like the standard skins that come with it best.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
I'm guessing that I may be suffering from DLL h e l l now. Probably from the GTK+ on Windows for gaim......

I started this topic: http://www.geekstogo...=ST&f=5&t=88542

And this is about the DLL h e l l for gaim .. http://gaim.sourcefo.../index.php#bugs

Edited by pomp86, 01 January 2006 - 12:41 PM.