Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is the best antivirus out there?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
What is the best antivirus out there? I have tried all of them norton, panda, kapersky but which one is worth using, which one is going to do the actual antivirus work?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
NOD32 :tazz:

Not the prettiest, but the best.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yep NOD32 then its kapersky then for me i use avast because its one of the best and its free(puts Norton and macafee to shame)

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Why is NOD32 the best antivirus? What does it bring to the table?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Fast, light on system resources, great detection rates, consistently one of the first to be updated for new threats, and heuristic detection that actually works.

We see a lot of new, undiscovered malware on this site (and submit them to anti-virus and anti-spyware vendors for inclusion in their detection databases). NOD32 is the only one that consistently detects these undiscovered threats. It's what I use on my primary system.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Kool, i already put it on my system, thanks for the recomindation, i hope it those the work i dont want to restore my computer again for the 5th time, thanks dude

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I'm a big fan of CA eTrust EZ Antivirus. It's not as bulky as Norton / McAffee (though I know that's not saying much :tazz:), and the free year trial is just dandy.

kapil

kapil

• Pip
  • 5 posts
right i am also using the same one because of longest free period

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
AVG is the best in my opinion and it's also absolutely free! :tazz:

Fenor

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On all my machines i use Avast i used to use a different one on each Avast on one AVG on another and anti-vir on one, out of the lot Avast was the most reliable and it looks the best and has the most regular definition updates, that and the LCARS skin it has sold it for me.

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
AVG, NOD32 and Kaspersky are all great programs.

They're easy to use and free!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Neither nod32 or kapersky is free im afraid.

dersu

dersu

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I like AVG the best but I don't even use one anymore because they all seem to cause issues or incompatabilities with things.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

I like AVG the best but I don't even use one anymore because they all seem to cause issues or incompatabilities with things.

:tazz: That's not a very good idea, desru. You're leaving yourself wide open to infections.

njustice

njustice

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
While all the above anti-virus programs are very good, it is COMMON SENSE that is the best protection. Don't ever open e-mails from someone you don't know. Even then you must save any attachments and then scan them for viruses. Never open a download when asked, save it to your hard drive and then scan it for viruses. IMHO microsoft should do away with the 'Open' option when presented with the 'File Download' box. Remember to always use the 'Save' option I can't stress that enough. After you have saved the file or attachment go to that file and right click on it and select "Scan with AVG' (or whatever anti-virus your using).

Having your computer up-to-date with Windows Updates is a must. Using a multi-layered defense is the best way to protect your computer. Using SpywareBlockers, adjusting your security settings in IE, switching to an alternative browser such as FireFox, using spyware removers, having a firewall, using a router if your on broadband, using programs like IE-SPYAD and common sense when browsing sites will go a long way in protecting your computer.

Just my two cents.... :tazz: