Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 2000 Login Puzzle

• Please log in to reply

criticman

criticman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My main computer's processor died. While I was wrestling with that problem, I needed something to work with, so I yanked out an old Gateway I had in the closet. This runs Windows 2000 but it had never been updated, so I brought it up to SP4. Once I did, I noticed that the time and date were off, so I double clicked on it to bring up the box and fix it. Instead of bringing up what I expected, I got this little gray error box: "You do not have the proper priviliege level to change the System Time". Now ordinarily, no biggie, I changed the time from Control Panel. Problem is, it's affecting other minor system updates as well. I went into passwords (don't use one), there were two administrators, I removed one and rebooted. Unfortunately, this still didn't solve the problem. IS THERE a quick fix to roll back this annoying situation? I'd appreciate a head's up.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Was this machine ever part of a domain?

Did you try logging into the other administrator logon? Did the problem persist there?

Create a new user. Does the problem repeat?

(I am trying to isolate if this is a user issue or machine issue)

criticman

criticman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yep, it certainly was part of a domain. I removed all the other users. There's only the one administrator on here now, but it may be the wrong administrator, if I'm understanding your implication. Any suggestions? This morning, it refused to let me plug my digital camera into the USB port, giving me that same old tired message about not have the proper "level of permission". Any notion on how I blank out the users and give this thing only ONE daddy?