Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS re-install, now slave HardDrive problem

• Please log in to reply

Fitzhume

Fitzhume

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Was nice to help a friend out and used my extra drive in my machine as network backup space. After transfering information to that drive I noticed my Symantec pop-up box with a trogen virus. It was a .dll file that was infected, quarenteened and removed that was located in the System Volume Information folder. (Note: this drive has been working for a while with no problems)

I then decieded re-format my machine due to the system install date was over a year now. The breakdown of my drives are this, 120gig Maxtor (os drive), 120gig slave Maxtor, and (new) 320 gig WD driveas a slave. After the reinstallation of Windoes XP pro on the 1st 120 Maxtor drive, the 2nd Maxtor drive still shows up fine but the new 320gig WestDig. drive no longer will open. It says: The disk in drive E: is not formatted. Well, this is where all my info is. Very important stuff too. So in the disk management utility, I can see the 128GB(Healthy -Active) portion and the 170GB Unallocated portion of the 320gig drive.

How am I able access the info on this disk anymore? Is there a way to put back or repair the section of the System Volume Information? Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks.

:tazz:

Advertisements

Fitzhume

Fitzhume

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not sure what you installed with, but if it was an original windows xp disk, you must install at least sp1a (and it would not hurt to install sp2

Following that, follow instructions here:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;303013