Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer.exe won't boot, hung up at netch.exe dos box

• Please log in to reply

seasam114

seasam114

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So i am harmlessly looking for some freeware and WHAM i'm hit with about 3 spyware and a brand new trojan! Spysherrif, Winhound, coolwebsearch and something else. So I sick giant antispyware on it and adaware. i rebooted as Giant asked me too (before adaware was finished) and then I get a "winlogon.exe - Application Error"

The instruction at "0x7c80ac9b" referenced memory at "0x80040118". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate program
Click Cancel to Debug the program

**NOTE** Before you start to ask for HIJACK THIS and ask ifI tried this or that please continiue to read:

first I have a laptop with Windows XP SP2

I did a memory diag and a full hardware diag already. Every piece of warrantied hardware is intact.

The malware deleted all restore points so that is no use.

I tried every prompt with f8 including "last known config that worked"

I pressed "OK" and I pressed "Cancel" both lead to the same message with this header

"svchost.exe - Application Error" with the same digits as before.

then the computer reboots itself.

If i ignore this I get a windows chime as if it will start and then it gets hung up on "C:\WINDOWS\System32\netsh.exe" and it just hangs there.

I then lose all access to any shortcut keys, taskmanager(which I have to keep turning back on) and anything but my mouse pointer

I have DELETED ALL PIECES of malware from my registry that I can tell except WinHound.com befcause it won't let me delete the very last piece which is the License.

I cannot access the internet at all, I cannot operate EXPLORER.EXE in SAFEMODE

I cannot do sfc \scannow from safemode but I cannot operate except from safemode!!

with some different loopholes I can access my windows (in safemode) long enough to open a folder which allows me to look at my harddrive somewhat. Depending on how far I go it will let me toy with it but then it becomes unstable and crashes.

DOS is my best bet. I am lousy with the commands though.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

:wu :tazz:

Edited by seasam114, 30 December 2005 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
this sounds terriffic. I bet that this would work too.

However I bought a Toshiba Sattelite M30X and it was bundled with software. the only thing they gave me was a recovery disk. Is there a way to pull the XP off of that??

I do not otherwise own Windows XP.

I have access to windows XP Pro... would that work?

And sir I want you to know I have talked to Toshiba techs, CPU repair shops, etc and they all said I had to reformat... I knew their was a way around... thank you for an intelligent, "unscripted" response.

Edited by seasam114, 30 December 2005 - 10:43 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no

That said, I believe that winlogon.exe CAN BE a malware file, if it is not located in c:\windows\system32

Can you run a hijack log anyway? Just so we can get a handle on it?

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If it is possible I would have to do it from dos mode which is only accessible in safemode. I don't even have the program hijackthis in my cpu.

Edited by seasam114, 30 December 2005 - 10:53 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so you're saying that you only have SAFE MODE with COMMAND PROMPT

not safe mode?

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I do have some access to safe mode its a bit unstable however. I can't seem to run all of my .exe or .com commands. regedit works and taskmgr works (after I turn it back on, it keeps disabling itself!) but I can't do a run command from taskmgr, it becomes unstable and shuts itself down just before program is launched.... oh I can also run that blasted Giant anti spyware that got me into this mess...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that screams malware infection. I'm surprised MS Antispy (Giant) isn't picking it up... can you run any exe or com files?

If you can, download this:

http://www.sysintern...ssExplorer.html

you can rename the file extension to .com if you need to

It will allow you to kill some of the alien processes

(it will fit on a floppy)

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am using my gfirends laptop to access this forum right now. how do I access that dl from dos?? i have a wireless card so i don't know if I have to execute that from dos first to get access to the internet.... I do have access to my burner/cd rom could I install it from a cd rom?

I hope I didn't further confuse the issue...

Edited by seasam114, 30 December 2005 - 11:13 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you keep saying DOS

This program will not run from DOS,

Can you run in safe mode at all? Even for a couple minutes. This program does not need to be installed, it will run from a CD. You can download on your girlfriends laptop, burn to cd, and run it from there.

If not....well, hmmm. let me think on that for a second

Advertisements

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I will try that gerryf with the cd...

I have my cpu configured to boot from CD, can I execute the file that way??

if that works I will repost the good news if not hopefully you'll have thought up that magical solution!

as far as the Dos comment, I am the most stable in dos mode thats why I keep referring to it...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wait a second....trying something

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
gerryf howd that go?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, sorry, thought you took off, so I went and put insulation in the attic....long story.

Well, what I tried did not work as I'd hoped.

Is there any way to get something on this PC...does the CD-rom still work in safe mode?

You mentioned you can run GIANT antispyware....can you access the TOOLS section at the top, go to ADVANCED > SYSTEM EXPLORERS

I am not sure these arew available in earlier versions

seasam114

seasam114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes yes the cd rom works in safe mode

i'll try that then what?