Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hey Experts. Check this out!

• Please log in to reply

Pentium D

Pentium D

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey Experts. Check out this system and tell me, do i need to improve/change something?
PS: I'm not a gamer! the Maximum i play is Medal of Honor & NFS Most Wanted.

Case: Frontier Impress 500W
CPU: Pentium 4 S-775 2M Cache 3.0GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5ND2 SLi Deluxe
Grafix Card: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600 256MB
Memory: 2x256MB Samsung DDRII 533Mhz
Hard Disk: Western Digital 80GB SATA
CD Burner: LG 4167B +x16 -x8 Dual x6

Edited by Pentium D, 30 December 2005 - 05:07 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For a gaming PC you should definately go with AMD intel are poor when it comes to gaming in comparison. You really really need at least 1 gig of ram preferably two, And the gfx card isnt up to much, i would look at an x800GT or x700. And the hard drives bigger is cheaper per GB up to about 200 they offer the best value for money.

Edited by warriorscot, 30 December 2005 - 05:33 AM.

Pentium D

Pentium D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
But you didn't got my PS. I'm NOT a gamer like everyone here.
i don't play a lot!

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
AMD is still the way to go, gamer or not!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup AMDs are cheaper and better suited to home users and you say the most you play are two new high end games, so that goes under gamer in my books.

Edited by warriorscot, 30 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I don't know about that, most AMDs are cheaper because they have a smaller L2 cache. If you're going to purchase an AMD processor, make sure your L2 cache is larger than 512k, 256k is just too small!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
FACTS* No flaming please. I buy both chips intel and amd im not for one or the other. My next will be an amd dual core x2 unless intel pushes out something amazing....

Amd's are good yes. If you are someone that wants to play just games only the amd is better than intel.

When you start getting into multitasking on a single core pentium 4 or single core amd the intel is going to be better.

Amd's are good for anything really there weakness for the single core versions is multitasking.

Intel runs everything good. I have one it runs any game without any stutters on high settings. I multitask alot and it does what I need.

If your really into music and dvd burning the intel is really better overall.

The amd chips are cheaper and they give you better performance in games thats about it.

Celerons and semprons suck really bad dont make the mistake and get one of those.

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah intels are better at multi tasking but offer poor value for money in comparison. Most home users would benefit from using AMD over intel purely due to the price, but they are also and consume and output less power.

They dont make Athlons with the 256 l2 cach anymore the smallest you can get is 512. Seven after your gfx card post it would seem you are just a little out fo date on your hardware.