Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost partitioned hard drive after formatting C drive

• Please log in to reply

keroppiyo

keroppiyo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. The overall story here is that I lost a partitioned drive located on a separate physical hard disk after formatting C drive, and I'm trying to recover files from the lost partitioned drive. Here are some details, I hope they help. I'm using Windows XP and recently formatted my C drive (my primary hard drive) because it seemed infected with virus or some sort of spyware. My C drive is one of three partitions on my first hard disk, partitioned using Partition Magic 7. I have a second physical hard disk that's been partitioned into 5 partitions using Partition Magic 7. Before formatting my C drive I copied some files from C drive onto a partition from the 2nd hard disk as backup. After re-installing Windows XP and all other necessary programs, I found that the drive I'd backed up my files on had disappeared, but the other 4 partitions from the 2nd hard disk were still present. I opened Partition Magic 7, and there was about 28GB of unallocated space (the size of the partition I copied files onto before formatting C drive). So I formatted this space to FAT32, hoping that my files would be recovered, but they weren't. I'm not sure if the drive letter used was the same, and I don't know if it matters. Am I still able to recover those files, or is that no longer possible? I would be most grateful for any advice on how to fix this problem. Thanks

Advertisements