Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Defrag my HD - Chkdsk is scheduled prob

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi

Hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have a HD 250GB with Approx 70GB of stuff on it, the problem I have is that as soon as I try to Defrag the drive using Diskeeper it tells me It cant as Chkdsk is either scheduled to run on it or it has errors which need to be fixed before it will start.

I have backed up the entire drive using Nero Backitup and have formatted the drive and it Defrags fine after I put a few files on it to test it.

I then restored the data back on it and it comes up with the same message re Chkdsk.

I have done all the things it has been suggested to me to stop Chkdsk starting at boot up time

i.e
Start
Run
CMD
Fsutil dirty query G: (my HD letter)

CHKNTFS /X G:

which has stopped the chkdsk starting at boot up

Also been and edited the registry as recommended

i.e

Regedt32
Hkey-local-machine/system/current control set/control/session manager

delete all the values after Autocheck autochk

to just leave Autocheck autochk

These have stopped Chkdsk starting at boot up so why is Diskeeper saying Chkdsk is scheduled when it isn't?

The drive has been formatted and was all right so can't see any problems re the HD

Any help please would be appreciated.

Rob

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download, install and run Speedefrag from my signature
This will restart windows up to the point where it will run the defragmenter and then shut the PC down

If you watch it run, (not essential), you will see an analysis report, the cursor will flash underneath this until it completes the defrag ahead of shutting off the PC

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Cheers Keith off to do this now

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Keith

Have done as you suggested with the following result

First time it ran Speedefrag it Anaylised my C:\ drive in micro seconds and found 0% fragmented as it should as I have Diskeeper set to run when screensaver starts so that drive is always ok.

It then took quite a while, I presume checking and sorting out my G:\ drive before the anaylis window came up and scrolled through at the speed of light and then as you said it turned my machine off.

I ran the program again and this time it was very much quicker checking the G:\ drive so hopefully this was because it had defragged it.

But Diskeeper is still saying it wont Defrag G:\ as due to either a user request or errors on the disk Chkdsk is scheduled to start at next boot up?

Thanks for the tip with Speedefrag it looks a good program but any further ideas on what Diskeeper is on about?

Thanks

Rob

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Disable the start up of diskeeper

Run Speedefrag

Run XP defragmenter analyze only to see what it says

If you are able to re-install diskeeper without too much trouble, it could be worth doing that so it runs with its default settings, you can check if there is an option to reset diskeeper

If you re-install diskeeper, run this in between uninstall and re-install

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC) After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

NT Registry Optimizer from my signature is worth a look

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Cheers Keith will have a go now and report back

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Keith

Right

Uninstalled Diskeeper

Ran Speedefrag

Ran XP Defrag and clicked on Analyze

It comes up with exactly the same message as Diskeeper and tells me to run Chkdsk /f

So I have run Chkdsk /f and the box that opens says " The Type of the file system is NTFS - Can not Lock the current drive - Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process - Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time you boot up"

Rob

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Change it to chkdsk /f /r then press enter, when you get the message, type Y then press enter and it should reboot and run the check which will take an hour at least, do not disturb this, as long as the red light on the tower is active, it is running

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks mate will do

See you in an hour lol

Appreciate cheers

Rob

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Keith

Chkdsk /f/r has done both my C:\ and now my G:\ drive and I am still getting the same message re G:\

namely that Chkdsk is, because of either a user request or errors on the disc scheduled to start so can not be Defragged.

I think I am going to have to use that speedefrag program in future and just leave that particular HD alone as I can not think of anything else.

The drive has a Paging file and System Information volume amongst its hidden files and folders so I presume that is where the ' current drive is currently in use etc etc ' meassge I was getting earlier but before I die i would still love to know why Chkdsk is scheduled to run because of user request when it isnt.

I have appreciated all the help given so far mate thanks and if you can think of anything else greatly appreciated as well.

Rob

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It isn't set as a scheduled task, though that should not stop it being run manually

After you run Disk Defragmenter on your New Technology File System (NTFS) partition, Chkdsk.exe may be scheduled to run the next time you restart your computer. However, Autochk/Chkdsk may not find a problem with the volume. If you again run Disk Defragmenter on your NTFS partition, Chkdsk.exe may again be scheduled to run the next time you restart your computer. The System Event log may contain the following error event:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Ntfs
Event Category: Disk
Event ID: 55
Date: date
Time: time
User: N/A
Computer: computer name
Description: The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Cheers Keith

Is there a way to tell it that I don't want Chkdsk to run next time I reboot?

As mentioned earlier I have altered the registry to tell Autocheck autochk that no check needs to be performed at boot up and it does boot up now without Chkdsk starting, I just need Defrag to know this.

Thanks Rob

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, command prompt

type

defrag g: -f then press enter

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Cheers Keith

Same result as before

It tells me that Chkdsk will need to be run on drive G: etc etc

Have rebooted and XP defrag comes up with exactly the same message.

Rob

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SpeeDefrag has the option to change the drive letter, does that get you anywhere with G

Setting Speedefrag with A in the box will defrag all the drives