Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to Defrag my HD - Chkdsk is scheduled prob

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Placing the paging file on a non-system disk can speed performance (provided the paging file is on a faster drive and you keep the second drive defragmented--- I know, I know).

However, placing half on the OS drive and half on a second drive doesn't gain you anything other than space savings on the system drive.

Also, do not set a maximum on your page file. You can set a minimum to reduce fragmentation and thrashing from the page file growing and shrinking, but setting a max can lead to out of memory errors when you least want them

Advertisements

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Gerry ...... In the words of one of my heroes - Edmund Blackadder

I LOVE YOU - AND WANT TO HAVE YOUR BABIES

Took out the Paging file from G:\ to just leave a Paging file of approx 1.5GB on C:\ ( I have 1Gb of memory so think that should be enough ) and have set C:\ paging file to System Set anyway.

Chkdsk /r on G:\ and rebooted and it has anaylized and Defragmented beautifully.

Can I just say a very big thanks to yourself and Keith and Samm for helping out with this problem, very much appreciated if only for the sake of my sanity LOL.

Cheers

Rob

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Glad we could help

Keith and Samm are two of the best folks we have. I just got lucky and stumbled across the right answer!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Well done Gerry!

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I know this is a silly question but is there a way to send a small donation as thanks via Paypal, I know a few sites have a link if you have been helped and want to contribute to the running of the site for e.g

Please dont be offended if you haven't.

Rob

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure if this explains things

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=465840

Some have paypal links but as you can see Gerry, Samm and myself do not

The site link is here

http://www.geekstogo...=findpost&p=459

Your topic was unusual and interesting, and I'm sure we are all pleased that the site could help you with it

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thanks Keith appreciate it mate

You three make a great team as well.

And as Bob Newhart put it in the 'Driving Instructor' " You want to be sure and get me next time "

All the best

Rob

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thank you for your comments Rob, I'm sure I speak for the other two when I say we really appreciate your feed-back :tazz:

eevuman

eevuman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

New user. Just signed up. Googled for my problem and came to this thread. I have the same problem as Carbuncle but cannot be the page file because my Gateway Tablet PC (S7200C) has only one drive (C: obviously) and I cannot move the page file to any other location. I get the same error that chkdsk is scheduled to be run. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

eevuman

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
eevuman,

Did you try the other suggestions above that? You can also temporary disable the pagefile even on the c: drive, then schedule a chkdsk /r, reboot, let it run, then recreate the pagefile

If that does not work, please start your own thread.

Advertisements

eevuman

eevuman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
How do I "temporarily disable" the page file?
Yes I have tried everything else on this thread.
If this doesn't work, then, yes, I will start a new thread.
...Derek :tazz:

superhuman

superhuman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,
I have the same problem... but only one hard drive. Was there ever a solution to THAT problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

chkdsk_helper

chkdsk_helper

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Everybody, THIS IS THE FIX for the problem:

How to make checkdisk (chkdsk) to run on boot:

**Please note, every time I say to reboot, that means you must SHUT DOWN your computer and wait about 10 seconds before booting it up again.
A restart will move the changes from session to session.**

The following steps must be performed to remove the dirty bit, and to enable chkdsk to access the drive:

1. Set your Diskeeper program to run a boot check -- Check every single value except for the a: drive, and set it for drive C:

2. Click the Start button on your taskbar, click RUN, and type in CMD. type in the command: "sfc /scanonce" without the quotes, and press enter

3. Go to My Computer, right click Drive C, and go to Properties. Click the Tools Tab and click Check Now. Select both checkboxes and set it. It will prompt you to run it at boot, say Yes.

4. Shut Down your computer, and then boot it back up again. -- **again, do not select RESET, but instead select Shut Down

5. Once the computer boots up, the chkdsk will Fail, then diskeeper will fail, then diskeeper will fail again. This is perfectly normal.

6. When the computer gets to the login page, please Log In. You will notice a scan for disk changes taking place. When it prompts you for the Windows boot disk, just say Cancel. After a couple Cancel's / No's, please click on the Cancel button of the scan. It will say something like are you sure, just say yes, and all the prompts will dissappear.

7. Open up Diskeeper once more and CLEAR all boot-scans on the problem volume.

8. Right click on your Drive C: and again click on Properties, click Tools tab and click clean now. Now this time only select the bottomcheckbox and scan the drive. This scan will start now, and will take about 15 minutes to run.

9. Once the scan has completed, go to your taskbar, click START, click RUN, and type CMD. Now please type in "fsutil dirty query c:" without the quotes and hit ENTER. It should say that Volume C: is dirty.

10. Now in the same window, please type "chkdsk /i" without the quotes, and hit ENTER. This scan will take about 10 minutes.

11. Once that scan has completed, please type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes, and hit ENTER.

12. Please shut down your computer.

13. Boot up your computer.

14. The chkdsk utility will run (5 layer scan, which takes about 1.5 hours), and the dirty bit will be removed.

15. You can now run disk defragmentor / diskeeper again.

16. If this guide did not work, please start again from step 1, as some instances require you to do the process twice.

I hope everything works out great for you, because I have tested this solution on multiple platforms and it has worked every time.