Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows repair failed - BSOD

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Since your crashing during a repair install, and the RAM checked out okay, it must be some other hardware error.

Couple of things to check. Make sure all your fans are working, and install a program like Motherboard Monitor to check the temps. You can also use it to check the voltages from the power supply (5V and 12V).

Unplug any PCI cards and USB peripherals (sounds card, modem, etc), especially any network cards.

Reset your BIOS setting to default.

If none of the above have any effect, you likely have a bad motherboard. Inspect it, paying close attention to the capacitors. Look for any bulging or leaking. This has become an all too common of problem. :tazz:

Advertisements

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
so i reformated my hard drive

my pc seems to be working fine.

any clue what it is now? Properly overdstacking of the kernel something or other.

can anyone give any suggestions to prevent it in the future?

do you think i should install all the hardware stuff before the error to find out what exactly caused the problem?

thanks makihara

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have no idea what caused the problem. :)

Possibly some type of data corruption that may or may not appear again. I know in Linux they call this kind of thing Kernel panic, and flatten and format about the only option. Never heard of a similar problem with Windows. The repair install is a very powerful tool, but obviously it's not a cure all.

I just have a sinking feeling your going to have the same issue again, and that it's probably something hardware related that may be difficult to identify. :tazz: