Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2003 - Applications never reach Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Dirge

Dirge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an odd one that I‘ve not seen any reference to anywhere.

We have a Dell NAS server running Windows 2003 Appliance edition (essentially Standard edition) and every morning when I get in it has sort of frozen up.
Normally we access and administer all our servers via terminal service. With this box in the morning you cannot get Terminal service to come up at all (asks for the Un/Pw but never gets to the desktop), and if the machine was not left locally logged in on the rack monitor you cannot get in there either.
If the machine was left locally logged in you can go to it locally but any application you try to launch never show up. I have left the task manager running on this machine and what happens is you can see the applications start up in the Tasks view, and if you try to repeatedly start it another instance shows up in the task manager, but nothing ever gets to the desktop.
To make things really interesting, a reboot fixes this for at least one day, nothing shows up in the event logs that seems to be associated with this issue, and all the file server functions seem to still be running perfectly as it is our primary file server.

Any ideas on what to look at would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, pure guess, but it sounds like the computer is slipping partially into standby mode

I assume you're up to date on any patches...how about bios updates on the server?