Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

data execution prevention (HELP)

• Please log in to reply

lecia

lecia

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have been getting a data execution prevention error message when I'm not even online, I went to IE home page and have no clue what there talking about. Could someone here please let me know what to do in English terms.

Thank you for your time in helping me,

Lecia (newbie) :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the settings

To open System Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Click the Advanced tab and, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.

In the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select list, do one of the following:

To turn off DEP for a program, select the check box next to the program name and click OK. (If the name of the program doesn't appear in the list, click Add, navigate to your Program Files folder, select the program's executable file which will have an .exe file extension, and click OK).

– or –

To turn on DEP for a program, clear the check box next to the program name, and then click OK.

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Keith,

I'm sorry I am a blonde when it comes to things like this you lost me when you wanted me to do this....

To turn off DEP for a program, select the check box next to the program name and click OK. THE ONLY PROGRAM WAS IE. WAS THAT THE PROGRAM TO CHECK

(If the name of the program doesn't appear in the list, click Add, navigate to your Program Files folder, select the program's executable file which will have an .exe file extension, and click OK).
[color=#CC0000]

I'm sorry that I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it happen with any particular programme(s)

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
It happens when I am off line or online not really to a certain webpage all of a sudden it pops up and knocks me off line.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to Bill, you should get a change settings option on the data execution prevention (DEP) message, then you got to DEP settings and add the programme, let me know if you do get an error message with change settings

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I was off my computer for the past 4 hours and walked by my computer and
on my desktop there was the message, windows needs to close, this is starting
to be a real pain in my butt I'm working online and all of a sudden I get this
message and I get bumped off line. Also I have noticed that when I click onto the cancel button when I get the error message all of my desktop icons remove than come back.

When I follow your directions above this is what I come up with on my computer................

turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only

turn on DEP for all programs and services except those i select, when I click on this one the only name that pops up is windows explorer

than at the bottom of the screen it says "your computers processor does not
support hardware based DEP, however windows can use DEP software to help
prevent some types of attacts.

:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you select turn off DEP for all programmes except those i specify, and then not specify any

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3. On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:

• Click Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only to select the OptIn policy.

• Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy, and then click Add to add the programs that you do not want to use the DEP feature.

4. Click OK two times.

Just to see if it stops

lecia

lecia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
thank you I did that and will reboot!! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you :tazz: