Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Converting 9600pro active cooling to passive

• Please log in to reply

meltfast

meltfast

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, basically, I've had a powercolor radeon 9600 128MB pro for almost 2 years, and lately I've noticed several passively cooled versions floating around the shops, so I figured I'd go the same route and convert mine to passive cooling (the heatsink fan is an utter piece of trash). However, I'm not so sure how to go about it. The ones I'm seeing on the market may be benefitting from a process shrink and thus run much cooler or maybe it's purely a heatsink issue. I wondering if it's safe to just discontect the fan and rely on the heatsink or if I should go with another solution? To the point, how should I go about passively cooling my card? Anyway, any and all help/advice/experience is more than welcome. Thanks.

Rig Information:

2.6GHz P4
512MB DDR2
Radeon 9600 pro 128MB (1280x1024 LCD)
IC7 Motherboard
2 Maxtor SATA HDDs
Junky linksys 10/100 (bottom PCI slot)
Antec BQE 3700 case

Computing environment for the PC:

Work: Typical Wordpro, spreedsheet/graphing, and Internet
Media: A lot of movies ranging from 320x240 wmvs to 720p Xvid (I kid not), and typical photoshop work.
Gaming: Mostly ePSXe and Zsnes emu (Don't worry, I actually own what I play)

Airflow:
Around the GPU it's pretty poor to be honest and supported mostly be the GPU fan, but I'm planing on adding a fan behind my HDDs to cool them (they run a tad warm).

This brings me to a second question actually, has anyone had any experience with 120mm panaflos (FBA12G12M)? Particularly, undervolted to 7v instead of 12v?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I never really fooled around with the heatsinks on a gpu but what I can tell you the fan is there for a reason you can't take it off so you would have to go with another solution. My guess is the replacement heatsinks are copper and somewhat bigger or better designed therefore eliminating the need for a fan.

You see this on northbridge coolers, afew years ago they had fans now the better boards don't.

Sorry couldn't be more help but atleast I bumped your topic.

Rick