Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files and Transfer Wizard (FAST) Problem

• Please log in to reply

standby

standby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ii am posting this as a new topic since my problem seems to involve several issues.

It all started with an event either around Dec. 4 or Dec. 12, after that I couldn't boot my laptop hp ze5835us (pre-installed with WinXP SP1 and upgraded to SP2 months ago with no apparent problems)--couldn't get to log-in screen.

So I tried the function keys at initialization and then finally used the OSCD for WinXp SP1that came with my hp. At this point I can log in and do things. But the files and settings that were saved to the folder: USMT2.UNC, with files IMG00001 (DAT) and Status (file) [this folder is on my Desktop and I also ran FAST saving my "old" files and settings to a 1 G Jump Drive ] will not return my computer to its former state when I run the Files and Settings Wizard. Instead, if I let FAST run and restart the laptop I am back to not being able to boot. So I figure I saved the "bad" file too with FAST.

Currently, I am logged in, but can't find a restore point prior to Dec. 28. Microsoft Office is not installed, all WORD docs are RTF. Programs I installed are accessible. OS is WinXP. My internet access was also eradicated.

There are several pop up messages:
1) Symantec Product Tamper Alert (appears whenever I restart)
2) Advanced INF Install %REMOVE_NODIR_ERROR%
3) Option to upgrade is not available at this time because set-up was unable to laod the file D:\i386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL The system cannot find file specified. (appears when I try to upgrade from OSCD WinXP Home SP1 hp)

I'm on a firend's computer right now. ...Standby...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I believe you need to update to SP2 on the laptop and then restore the USMT2.UNC etc back at that point

standby

standby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, gerry. I've got to get my internet running before I can download SP2.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not necessarily

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

You can download the IT download from there, burn it to a CD and then copy it to your drive and run it (better than running from CD as it is quite large)

When you say your Internet was eradicated, what do you mean?

Your hardware works or does not?

You don't know your ISP information/sign up?

standby

standby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
"Eradicated" was the wrong word--just had to enter the WEP key again for my notebook card.

Before I read your most recent post, I started preparing my laptop for installation by removing and reinstalling Ad-aware to clean-up my notebook. Had "mining" software and another type that gathers info--forgot name.

But I'm stuck for the moment. When I tried to downlaod SP2, I got a mssg. that I need to "be running Internet Explorer 5 or later." So I tried to downlaod and install IE, but I got another mssg. saying that I already have parts of it on my computer and that the computer will need to restart after I finish installing what's already on the computer. Would using SP2 from a CD avoid this issue?

Here's the problem: I'm afraid that if the computer turns off before I fix whatever was wrong with it before--that I'll be back at square 1--NOT being able to log-on. See, I'm not sure how to know for sure that whatever was wrong has been fixed, and things are back to normal.