Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot shut down properly

• Please log in to reply

waahooo

waahooo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
When I click on "Shut Down" it restarts instead of shutting down. Even when I hold the power button for a few seconds to shut it down, it restarts again. I have to flip the switch in the back of the computer to turn it off. This just recently started to happen. Any help?

Edited by waahooo, 30 December 2005 - 01:14 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hi waahoo, and welcome to GeeksToGo

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Line 76, download and install the poweroff.vbs script

Something you installed like rewrote that key temporarily for an install and didn't write it back properly

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. I downloaded it but how do I use this file?

Edited by waahooo, 30 December 2005 - 06:39 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download the file you need from HERE. Save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Once it's downloaded, locate the file and double-click it to run it. Click YES/OK to any prompts you may receive. After it's done reboot your computer and then once rebooted test and see if the computer now shuts down when you select Shutdown.

Fenor

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hmm, I double click it but nothing seems to be happening. My mouse cursor shows the hourglass animation, so something's being loaded, but no prompts pop up. Let me reboot anyways.

Update: I just tried rebooting and then shutting down, but it still restarts.

Edited by waahooo, 30 December 2005 - 07:04 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lets have you try resetting the computer's BIOS. Please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST 5 minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 30 December 2005 - 07:19 PM.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Uh oh... I think I messed something up. I did what you said, took out the battery, waited a few minutes, and put it back in, but now my computer is on constant restart. From the moment I flip the switch on, it reboots every 4 seconds (I'm on a laptop right now). I'm pretty sure I didn't unplug or disconnect anything else, only the battery, but maybe that's the case. It was in a tight spot, the battery, so my hands may have disturbed something. What should I do know? Go to a computer guy?

Edited by waahooo, 30 December 2005 - 08:45 PM.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Still not working... continues to restart when I turn it on.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Strange, how far does the computer get in the boot cycle before it restarts itself?

Fenor

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
3-4 seconds

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I mean what is on the screen at the time it reboots. Does it show the Windows logo or what is displayed on the screen when it reboots? Does it reboot in the same spot each time?

Fenor

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Nothing's on the screen. The computer doesn't have time to connect to the screen, I think. I usually let the monitor turn itself on when I turn on the computer, which takes a couple of seconds, but now the monitor doesn't turn on by itself. When I manually turned on the monitor and then turn on the computer, it doesn't show any sign of a connection to the computer (when the monitor's on while the computer's off, it shows random bars of colors, and that's what it keeps on doing while the computer's on).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is it possible you put the battery in backwards?

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
No, I put it in right. There was writing on it facing me I took it out and I put it back the same way. I took it out and replaced it a few more times but to no avail.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you please tell me what kind of system you have? ANd if you can, what kind of motherboard would be more helpful