Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot shut down properly

• Please log in to reply

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I use Windows XP Pro and an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Socket A Motherboard.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, good. A good motherboard and someone who knows what they have...

hold on, going off to find a manual

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Okey dokey

This is what I want you to do--I'm afraid Fenor used an old IT trick that does not work with this motherboard.

Turn off the computer
UNPLUG IT
NOW, REMOVE THE BATTERY AGAIN
NOW, you need to move the jumper that is just to the right of the battery from the 1-2 pin to the 2-3 pins for about 2 seconds
Now, move the jumper back to 1-2 pin
NOW replace the battery
Plug in the cord
Turn on the PC and HOLD DOWN THE DEL key until you enter bios

Restore your bios settings from before.

SAVE and REboot

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's not working :tazz:. There are two jumpers next to the battery, one being to the right of the battery and another to the bottom-right of the battery. I moved the jumper directly to the right of the battery. Is that the one I was supposed to move?

By the way, when I plug in the power cord and flip the power switch on in the back of the PC, is it normal for the computer to automatically turn on without pressing the power button in the front? I don't remember it doing so in the past, but that's what it's been doing since this restart problem began.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Yes that was the correct jumper it should be labled CLRTC1 check just to be sure, use a magnifying glass if nessesery, CLRTC1 will be printed next to it.

It could be the power switch on the case is bad, to check for this you will need your manual (download from asus website if you don't have printed version).

In the manual turn to chapter 2 page 28, you should be looking at "system panel connector (20-pin CTRL_panel 1)"

Print this page if you are viewing online

Note ATX Power Switch on the diagram on the right and now note its location on the motherboard in the diagram on the left.

Power down the computer.

Remove the 2 connections labled ATX power switch in the diagram, these will be labled PWR and GND on the motherboard. Use a magnifing glass they are labled. BE CAREFULL these 2 connections could be cable tied to the other wirers that connect to the system panel and you don't want to remove them so cut the cable tie if necessary.

Now touch the 2 pins the the wirers were connected too with a screw driver for a second and release, this will power on the computer, and hopefully into windows.

If you can now shut down normally the power switch on the case is bad.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 31 December 2005 - 09:34 PM.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It didn't work, and I think it's because the only way for me to keep my computer powered off right now is to keep the power switch in the back of my computer switched off. I'm not sure, but I always thought that if that switch is off, the computer has no power at all, sort of like pulling the plug. When I switch it back on my computer immediately turns on, and goes into the automatic reboot cycle. I think I need to do everything you told me to do with the power switch on and the computer powered off in order for it to work, but I can't do that right now. Power switch in the back has to be off for my computer to stay off right now. Thanks though.

Edited by waahooo, 31 December 2005 - 10:33 PM.

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Off topic, but happy new year. It's now 2006 (well, for those of you living in US-Eastern time).

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes happy new year,

Yes if the switch on the power supply is turned off it is just like pulling the plug.

If you remove the case switch wirers/connectors and the computer powers on when you plug it in then the motherboard must have some problems.

You should also try removing the reset switch wirer/connectors also

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Where's the case switch connector? And what do I do when I remove the restart switch connector?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Where's the case switch connector? And what do I do when I remove the restart switch connector?

The case switch connector is the power switch connector you removed a couple of posts ago. When the reset switch is removed, it will help narrow down whether the connectors themselve are bad (meaning your computer stops rebooting itself) or the motherboard is bad (meaning your computer continues rebooting itself). Once the restart/reset switch is removed, try turning on your computer and see if you can't get to the desktop now.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 January 2006 - 11:12 AM.

Advertisements

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks. Both the power switch connector and reset connector are removed, but the computer still keeps restarting when I turn it on.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm starting to think that it could be a faulty power supply more then a motherboard problem. How old is the computer?

Fenor

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Two years. I haven't had any big problems with it so far though. But sometime about a month ago, the fans in my computer suddenly stopped. I got that fixed quickly, and that's the only other problem I've had with this machine.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have another power supply from another computer in your house or from a friend/family member that you can test with your computer? You can take the power supply to a computer store to have it tested, but that may cost some money. Borrowing one from someone would be the best course to follow if it's possible. Remember that if you have a Pentium 4 computer then you will need a power supply that has the special 4 prong plug.

Fenor

waahooo

waahooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
[bleep], I don't know of anyone who would have an extra power supply. I guess I have to go to a computer shop. Thanks a lot though, I appreciate all your efforts.

Edit: The D word is censored? Haha.

Edited by waahooo, 01 January 2006 - 12:06 PM.