Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where is Managed Web Sites file

• Please log in to reply

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Can anyone tell me the file name and where it is located containing the Managed Web Sites list (for blocking or allowing specific sites for cookies) so I can back it up and reload it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you mean the sites you put in places like TRUSTED DOMAINS, under security?

Those are stored in the registry, in a key called

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap

It lists the domain, and then there is a hexcode that determines if it is safe (ends in 02) or not trusted (ends in 04)

Or am I misunderstanding you?

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Not Trusted Domains - I mean in Internet Options>Privacy Tab>Sites Button -

"Per Site Privacy Actions

Managed Sites
You can specify which websites are always or never allowed to use cookies, regardless of their privacy policy.

Managed Web Sites:
Domain -------------- Setting (Always Allow or Always Block)"

I know that some freeware antispyware preloads this information, so I am assuming that it resides in a file that can be backed up and replaced. Should it also reside in the Registry, it could be backed up and reloaded as well - no?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
pretty sure they're in the same general area...

You might try start > run
regedit
enter

navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
right click, export to file, name it
IEsettings.reg

Copy that file to another machine,
open regedit there
select same key, export as temp.reg

THEN
double click the IEsettings.reg and say yes to merge into registry

See if it duplicates
If so, good
To return the second machine to normal, delet the key, then doule click temp.reg and merge

MAKE SURE BOTH MACHINES HAVE THE SAME VERSION OF IE, otherwise, it should be a harmless merger

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I will try your suggestion, but it stills seems like this should be in a file due to it's potential size. My list is currently around 500 entries - and as far as I know there is no limit. Is there anyway to check on this?

Thank you for your help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
My list is also 500 entries and I see 500 registry entries.

Why do you assume it is a file....IE would be able to retrieve this info much more quickly from the registry then a file

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
You are correct. I found them at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\P3P\History. Can I just save or export the P3P folder and then import that folder? If so, please give me the instructions.

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thank you gerryf. I used your previous instructions and applied them to exporting P3P.reg, backed up the other entire registry plus temp.reg of the other P3P folder and then imported P3P.reg. It worked swell - what a slick deal that was - saved me 3 hours of copy and paste - thank you again!