Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word 2002 OPENS & CLOSES Slow

• Please log in to reply

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My Ms Word 2002 is part of MS Works 2004. When I uninstalled Word 2002 which was originally installed at the factory by Dell, and reinstalled it with the version on the Works Disk, I found it was a newer version - Microsoft Word 2002 (Version 10.6764.6735) SP3. This newer version both OPENS and CLOSES at least twice as long as the previous version - and painfully long compared to any version of Word I've ever seen.

I have all of Windows XP and Office XP updates - any suggestions?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have Norton anti virus installed, open it,click options to disable the Office plug in

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks for the help Keith - but I already had that disabled. I hope you have some more ideas.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word, click help then detect and repair

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Did a successful Detect and Repair - no change.

Another thought - Adobe Acrobat 6 Standard has added Menu items to Word (Acrobat Comments and Adobe PDF to the right of Help) which have never worked right and which I don't need - there is even 2 sets of them now - I doubt that they have anything to do with this problem since they've been there right along, but is there anyway to delete them?

Edited by elijahmobile, 03 January 2006 - 02:57 PM.

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I found on the Adobe support database how to remove the PDFMaker feature from Office XP. I did so, as well as deleted NORMAL.dot to remove the dead Menu entries. WORD now OPENS slightly faster since it doesn't have to install PDFMaker, but still CLOSES just as slow.

I'm glad to have this removed - but it obviously wasn't the cause of the current problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open add / remove and find Office XP, click change, click customize / modify then select Word to run all from the computer, leave the installation files on the drive

If you have room on the drive, you can set each Office programme to run all from the PC

You will need the Office CD and should check with Office Update afterwards

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Because I have MS Works I only have a minimal Office XP install and Office XP isn't on the Add/Remove Programs list - just MS Word 2002 which then installs the minimal Office XP.

So following your instructions, from Add/Remove Programs I did a Customize Install on Word to run all from the Computer - which apparently it already was. No change to updates. No change in problem.

I then tried from Add/Remove Programs the Detect & Repair option and then the Reinstall option. Neither changed the updates. Neither changed the problem.

I then tried from Add/Remove Programs a full Uninstall - which removed all the updates as well. I then did a full install of Word to run all from the computer. No change in problem.

I then installed all the Office XP updates. No change in problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you note the number of registry errors and the percentage reduction of the registry and post them in

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then click clean up restore points.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Could you post the processor speed and amount of installed Ram memory

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I won't be able to complete all you've requested right now - but I don't know where to get:
"the number of registry errors and the percentage reduction of the registry"

Also as you asked:
Pentium 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz

Also I timed the OPEN at 12 seconds, and Close at 10 seconds - it used to be half or less of those times.

Thank you Keith for the continuing help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you run tune up, registry clean up it will give a number for the errors, when you run tune up reg defrag it takes over the PC for a few minutes and then shows the percentage reduction

Sorry for not making that clear

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
TuneUp numbers were 1,821 corrected Registry problems and the size of the Registry reduction was 8%.

That was certainly a worthwhile cleaning - but no change in the problem. OPEN & CLOSE times remain the same.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use XP defrag and also run prefetch again, (this will cause it to take longer to boot for the next few boots while windows loads the files for existing software, but after cleaning 1821 registry errors it may have a few stuck in there)

How far does it get in 12 seconds after pressing the power button

Does it complete shutdown in 10 seconds

elijahmobile

elijahmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Word OPENS completely and is ready to edit in 12 seconds after double clicking a Word file icon.

Word CLOSES completely to the Desktop in 10 seconds.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have split second with Word 2003 for open new / existing / close