Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

where did my other 80GB's go?

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

This is a real headache to which I think there is a simple answer, but I just haven't found it yet. We bought 2 Dell Dimension 3000 desktops directly from Dell. They are virtually identical: Windows XP Home, 160GB hard drives, 512RAM, Hyper-Threading Pentium 4 processors. Bios does indeed show 160GB hard drives, but on "my computer" there is only one 80GB C drive, no other drives, except of course the floppy A, and the CD and DVD. Where is the other 80GB's?

Both computers are showing the exact same thing. The files are NTFS.

Dell has now sent out two techs, one has installed a completely new 160GB hard drive, but of course, after reinstalling the Dell Windows XP disk, I again have only one drive (C:) and it is 80GB. I have called a computer repair shop and they said it sounded like a formatting problem, but that doesn't tell me anything about what to do or how to do it.

How in the world can Dell pros not know how to remedy this? I don't know where to go from here. I hate having to pay what I did for 160GB hard drives, and only have 80GB available to me.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Dusty

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. In there go
to Disk Management.

Check out if that shows that there is unallocated space.

Is this a newer machine? Some older machines had issues with the large drive sizes. First check out the disk management and then go from there.

In answer to your question, you get what you pay for and often companies don't pay well and the people don't know what they are doing. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Kemasa,

Thanks again!

I checked exactly as you suggested, and it shows 2 identical partitions, one is the C drive, the other is the Acronis SZ, which is the "snapshot" of the entire computer that sets everything back to original specs and settings I have installed if there is a disaster of any kind. I didn't realize it set up a seperate partition to do this. Acronis True Image is supposed to be vastly superior to GoBack or the Windows XP Recovery application.

These computers are each a year old, 3 GHZ, 800 FSB)and I paid a ton for the pair. I just didn't understand how they could have 160GB hard drives in them, but only show 80GB.

I think you figured that out for me!

Thanks so much! I truly appreciate it!

Dusty

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You are welcome.

That does explain where there space is :-). It sounds like is has a separate copy of everything, which is good, unless the disk dies.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want to get your space back get a proper XP instalation disk and reinstall it to get the full drive on one partition although the best way to have it is a smaller C partition(20 to 40gigs for a main windows partition) and then the other D partition for data.

Answer to all future problems, dont buy good PCs from dell(cheap ones and laptops yes expensive ones no).

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, Warriorscot!

Thanks for the response.

I got a Dell Windows XP reinstall disk with each computer. When you say "proper" do you mean those disks, or a freestanding XP disk? (Not Dell embedded). I have seen them at the electronics stores for around $200. Ouch! Will the Dell disks not work?

Thanks again,

Dusty

Saynt Cinn

Saynt Cinn

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Provided you got you Dell cd labelled windows sp home and your dimension resource cd to reinstall drivers your Dell cds will allow you to do a complete format and reinstall of the operating system. And you can delete the Image Restore Partition and recreate however you like. Dell will assist with this however they will not help create multiple partitions. Also note once the partition is removed the image is gone, same with editing the MBR....