Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply

CJ44

CJ44

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerry, Taking your suggestion, here is a new topic.

I have just removed some spyware, malware from my comp. Everything is normal except for the desktop background - which is completely white. I downloaded and tried the fix posted in another thread but I get the following message after extracting and trying to run the files:

Cannot import - The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files. :tazz:

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi CJ44!

When you go to DISPLAY PROPERTIES, are the options in the BACKGROUND tab greyed out? If they are do the following:

Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\restoredisplaytabs.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and see how your display settings are working

Fenor

CJ44

CJ44

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much for replying Fenor. I have solved the problem thanks to another forum which gave these instructions:

"START,Run type REGEDIT

navigate down to the following
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

The only entry that should be under policies is Explorer - delete all other branches such as System.
then open up the Explorer tree and delete everything in there except NoDriveTypeAutoRun and default leave those two and delete everything else in there
exit regedit

you will now be able to change your desktop wallpaper"

No tabs were grayed out. I could go into control panel and click the new background as usual but it had no effect. Right clicking on the desktop and selecting "properties" did not open the Display Properties window, however. Some type of file property window opened instead.

I hope this will assist someone else as well. Again, Fenor, many thanks for taking the time to help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting this solution