Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canīt reinstall windows xp home

• Please log in to reply

Noctvm

Noctvm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a notebook gateway 4547MX and it comes with Windows xp home. Two days ago I installed Windows xp professional and... well... now the screen resolution sucks and it doesnīt have any sound device, so I canīt hear a [bleep] thing... before I installed windows xp professional everything was okay.

The notebook comes with a program called "Gateway System Recovery" and it formats the disc and installs windows xp home edition along with all the programs that it came with... I tried this and System Recovey said the reinstalation succeeded, and after it rebooted my computer everything looked normal. The black screen with the windows logo appears and then it says "windows is preparing to install, please wait" but after that a message comes up saying that it doesnīt have enough virtual memory... and something else, but I canīt read the whole message because it disappears quickly.

I can reinstall windows xp professional, which is the OS that I have now, but when i tried Gateway System Recovery it always happens the same thing.

I want to reinstall windows xp home, or at least get some sound from my notebook aside from that annoying beep that emits... Can somebody help me??

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Do it manually... Maybe that Gateway System Recovery has a problem with it...

Do you need to know how to do this?

Noctvm

Noctvm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mmmm.. it would be of great help if you can explain me how to do it.. thanks :tazz:

il2od

il2od

• Pip
  • 3 posts
just put in ur windows home cd and make shure u have ur windows xp home key

Noctvm

Noctvm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thatīs the problem, I didnīt get a windows cd inatead they gave me that "Gateway System Recovery" program which installs windows.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hmm yeah, that can be an issue then... I assumed you had a windows CD...

Have you been booting with the CD, or using it while in windows..?

( I dont really know what to do about it, so trial and error time :tazz: )

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Noctvm...

You have a couple of options. First, you can simply download the drives from Gateway for your devices. You do this through the support pages there. The reason your sound and video do not work is the install of windows lacks the drivers needed for you hardware. They are all present on the Gateway site

As to your restore process. I am just guessing, but some restore CDs required a special boot disk via floppy drive, and then the restore was installed from the floppy. The reason for this being that the restore process requires more ram than is available in the first 640k, so, the boot disk loads certain drivers into high memory, then runs the install process.

Look on your Restore CD for a program to make a boot disk (or read your manual...there may be instructions there)