Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, my comp keeps shutting down infrequently!

• Please log in to reply

Silverwispsoflight

Silverwispsoflight

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey there, I'm new here, and alas I am having troubles with my comp. Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, but I'm confused a little. ^^; Now, I'm not the best at using computers, but I am capable of doing a few technical things here and there. But my skills seem to be failing me at the moment.

Recently I got Broadband installed, but before I installed it I noticed my Anti-virus picked up a virus called "Javaapplication". It didn't delete it for some reason, so I went and got AVG instead. It picked up 2 viruses related to that, but I cannot recall what it said exactly, because my computer shut off as it was scanning. It seems that whenever I am on the internet my computer will shut itself down whenever it feels like.
Now I've run multiple scans on my AVG, which doesn't pick anything up anymore, I've run Spybot through a couple of times, I've run BulletProof Soft and Adware 6.0.,Spywareblaster. Nothing has rectified the problem =/

Although I did find a suspicious folder called "Sun" under C:\Documents and Settings\admin\application data
I know it's in relation to the Java applications that I have installed on the computer, but the virus name that I caught first made me suspicious. So I deleted it, and surely enough, the folder cam back, and then duplicated itself under the Adminstrator and all users folders. I deleted them again, and then ran the AVG again, and it didn't come back..

So with this little knowledge of not knowing exactly what was going on with my computer, I decided to uninstall the java and re-download it and re-install it. That seemed ok, but then when I opened up "Azureus" it shut down sooner or later. Azureus is based off of Java so I have come to suspect that the virus/trojan came from there. This has never happened to me before, but I guess there's all ways a first time. :/

I noticed that if I leave my computer disconnected from the internet, that it won't shut down. I then tested the computer to leave on overnight, while ABC running. It didn't shut down at all overnight. So I assume it has something to do with Azureus.

I then searched on google for a Trojan Remover and found the program "Anti-Trojan Shield". This proved effective as it detected a virus called "vr2.pxcpya64.exe" I deleted it, and thought that this may finally solve the problem. but to double check, I looked it up on google and went onto this forum and it had a similar reference to my problem, except for the fact that my computer restarts whenever it feels like it.

The forum mentioned that if I had the following files in the System32 folder that I should delete them:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpya64.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pxcpyi64.exe

So I did, and they haven't come back. By now I thought my computer was finally over all of this trouble, but I decided to test it again, so I ran Azureus and surely enough my computer restarted again!

I am so lost as to what to do now, I have no idea what it is, if AVG won't pick anything up, nor will the ATS. :tazz:
Can you guys' please offer me some suggestions? I have no idea what to do. I do suspect my computer itself though, you know.
It's an Acer brand, and its brand new and all, but I discovered that my comuter didn't like Norton when I tried to install it, and it refused to start up, so I had to remove it. I'm wondering if perhaps my computer just hates Broadband, or if there is a trace of a trojan or virus still on here.

Either way, I'd love to know what the problem is. All help is much appreciated. Just be weary that I am not that good at computers so if you give me a list of things to do, then please be thorough in your explanations ^^;;

Thanks ^^

Edited by Silverwispsoflight, 30 December 2005 - 11:04 PM.

Advertisements