Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with frontpage and ftp

• Please log in to reply

superbeano2004

superbeano2004

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, I'm teaching myself website design. I'm redesigning a site for my family's racing team. i have someone to host it bt whenever I publish the site using FP, everything goes well. But, when I go to the site, it says that I am unautorized to view the page. I am really stumped, probably becasue I am learning as I go along.

Please someone help me out. The site is www.flippins.com

Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
In order to use frontpage to edit your site, you must have frontpage extentions installed.

superbeano2004

superbeano2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
How do I get the extentions?

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
pretty sure this is what you need

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

superbeano2004

superbeano2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
The server hosting the site is where the FP extensions need to be.

Sounds like you have friend hosting the site off a local machine. He/She needs to install the Server Extensions from the CD.

You do not have to install any extensions on your own machine.

You may also check to see if you have set up permissions for this site. Looks like you may have a page set up to be viewed only if you have logged into the web site using a user name and password. Then, you just never created the form for getting the username and password and/or the database to hold such information.

Check the security settings for the index page. Search Security Settings in FP help.

Windsun

Windsun

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
My real question is, why are you using FTP with Frontpage?

superbeano2004

superbeano2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Because my host uses FTP. I use FP because it's an easy-to-learn program. simple.

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Because my host uses FTP. I use FP because it's an easy-to-learn program. simple.

View Post

When using frontpage, it is easiest to use a server with the extensions enabled. However, if that isn't possible, consider using a seperate FTP client to upload the files, as this is an easier way to verifiy that the files have reached the site. Also make sure that you have a page named inex.html or index.htm and that your friend has his server set up to recognize these as default pages. I know that the default installation of Apache will not recognize index.htm, which is what FP uses as its default home page.

Let us know how this goes....