Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Usage goes 100% on running any application

• Please log in to reply

apurv

apurv

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, PCG-K33. 512MB RAM, P4:3.06 GHz, 60 GB HD. My CPU usage goes to 100% within minutes of playing a DVD or an AVI file...These days it goes 100% even when I am just using MS Word or yahoo messenger.
My drives are highly defragmented(using disk keeper, Healthy)...there is about 50% free space on my C drive...I regularly run Lavasoft, Registry Mehanic and have used Cleanup, CWshredder, EWido, SPyBot, Trojan Hunter before posting here. My Windows software is as updated as possible.
Can you please tell me what is the issue with my laptop? And please help me fix it!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you tried running an on line av/trojan scan, like at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ ?

apurv

apurv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

Thank for replying. I have done that too...It did fix some bugs. But the situation is still the same.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi, just try calling up Task Manager and tell us what program eats the most CPU

apurv

apurv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Mac,

I have done that. The problem isnt program specific. Any program I am using, usually WIN DVD(this is a DVD player provided by Sony Vaio) or AVI Files , Mcaffe and even MS Word & Excel show a lot of CPU usage(60-80%) taking the total to 100%

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I see, well sorry, I thought it might have been svchost.exe, but in that case it might be some malware on your computer. I can't help with this one but get someone who knows about HijackThis. :tazz:

apurv

apurv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its fine. Thanks for your concern :tazz: . I had posted a Hijackthis log on the malware forum but didnt get any replies. So I thought maybe I chose the wrong forum. Since I have rigorously adopted all the malware removal steps shown on G2G, I doubt if it is a malware problem, if so, not an ordinary one.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You did the right thing, working thru the malware removal guide and then posting a hijack this log in the malware forum. The malware experts are over there and will get to you. Just be patient and hang in there :tazz: