Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Problems

• Please log in to reply

Zzarkk

Zzarkk

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello again :tazz: Since you guys helped me out so much last time, I decided to come here again with my new problem.
My computer screen is always twitchy and somewhat garbly (it looks like I'm looking at the screen from under water.) Occasionally though, especially when I leave the computer unattended for a while, the screen is full of lines and sketchy blotches of what are suppose to be images. When this happens, the power button on my monitor blinks (green off, green on.) While this only sometimes happens while regularly running the computer, when running in safe mode the screen is always like this (minus the blinking light.)
I've tried the Windows troubleshooting for display problems, I've updated Windows Media Player (since I thought that was the problem), and I've reinstalled the NVIDIA video card drivers from the vpr Matrix website.

I have a vpr Matrix model 180R.
My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200.
My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 151v.

Thanks for your time. :)
-Bryan

Not sure if this is helpful, but I got a log of the error this morning:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe268.dir00\Mini123005-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe268.dir00\sysdate.xml

Edited by Zzarkk, 31 December 2005 - 07:12 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I think the easiest approach would be to do some component swapping, like try another monitor. Monitor first, it is easy to do. Borrow one from a friend if you have to. Eliminate this first and if it is the monitor, easy to replace. If the monitor swap does not do it, I suspect the video card is bad.

Zzarkk

Zzarkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for your help. I hooked my monitor up to my parents' computer, and it worked fine.
I also tried capturing a screenshot of the computer when it's acting up, because I figured that if the picture was messed up then it was the video card, and if it looked fine that meant it was a monitor problem.
Well, the image came out messed up, so I'm assuming I have a bad video card.
Screen Capture
Is there a way to repair it, or should I simply get a new one?
Thanks again :tazz:

Edited by Zzarkk, 31 December 2005 - 04:26 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It would probably be easier (and less costly) to get a new video card.